WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

Here is another wing that if we had seen it outside of its context would likely have argued it was a fake.

It looks like a bullion, or maybe embroidered wing. It looks like it was simply folded over and pinned on his chest w00t.gif

Handsome young feller with a mustache that looks bang-spankin' new!

Still, not all wings were works of art.....

post-1519-1244336712.jpg

post-1519-1244336724.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Fantastic reference shot Patrick. I agree, if I were a betting man, I dare say that this wing, if posted for review, would receive a severe flaming. Another great example of how wings don't always look the way a collector thinks a period example "should" look.

• 2 weeks later...
IMPERIAL QUEST

This wing is attached to the tunic of Lt. Charles Hill, and is part of a much larger trunk grouping that I am acquiring. The shield looks typically US judging by the shape, and the thick padding. The fat stubby style of wings however, look very British to me; another forum member and I touched on this in a PM recently. If not British made, they wings themselves certainly look as if they were influenced by the Brit design.

NIce wing. Very nice wing...but I think this is a wing made by the US Armstrong Uniform Co of Chicago.

Here is a very similar wing from a dealer's website. The wing is pin back and has the original label still attached.

I have posted the pictures from here ( http://www.screamneagle.com/uswwi9.html#five ). I assume that this is a "fair use" issue so that I am not breaking any rules. If so, then the pictures can be removed and I apologize. I remember when either this specific wing or one just like it came up on ebay. It sold for some silly money, IMHO. I was very interested in that wing and so I thought I remembered the pattern when I saw your wing.

To me, the wings look to be the same general pattern. Notice the two rows of feathering in the shoulder and the the relatively "stubby" wings. Also, notice that these wings, while clearly vintage, have the feathering delineated by thread. The one on the dealer site has a pin back, but I assume that could be something that was done at the time of purchase and one could select either to have the wing sewn directly to the jacket or purchased as a separate unit.

Hope that helps.

Still, a very nice wing, but I think it is a US made wing (as you originally thought). I have noticed a recent trend in assigning "English-" or "French-made" labels to bullion wings that I am not so sure are based on fact. At least in this regards, the manufacturer helpfully put the information on the wings! :thumbsup:

Patrick

post-1519-1245183989.jpg

post-1519-1245183997.jpg

post-1519-1245184011.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Patrick,

Thanks for the post, and I do indeed agree that it is more than likely a product of the Armstrong company. I do recall seeing that wing on Screamneagle, but didn't make the connection.

Here is a shot of the exact wing that I posted (post #56) shown on the tunic in the Pilot's Officer Identity Card. From viewer's perspective- Note the slight damage to the upper part of the left wing, the slightly larger right lower portion of the backing material is more "bulbous", the uneven cut to the backing at the top of the wing and the loose thread at the top left of the photo seems to appear in the photo as well...even the uniform seam line lines up perfectly.

John Cooper
This wing is attached to the tunic of Lt. Charles Hill, and is part of a much larger trunk grouping that I am acquiring. The shield looks typically US judging by the shape, and the thick padding. The fat stubby style of wings however, look very British to me; another forum member and I touched on this in a PM recently. If not British made, they wings themselves certainly look as if they were influenced by the Brit design.

Another trunk group... oh my boy you have it BAD! ;)

John

IMPERIAL QUEST
Another trunk group... oh my boy you have it BAD! ;)

John

Yes I do indeed John. This will have to be it for a while, but I'm not complaining as I still can't believe how far I have come in such a short time.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Folks, I watched this wing as it ended on ebay last night @ 610. Thoughts / comments?

My opinion is that it is an original, classic US made period wing with proper hardware. The elongated small barrel roller used on the catch is found on known period originals, and the bullion work on this one is very neat and overall is very good.

John Cooper
The elongated small barrel roller used on the catch is found on known period originals, and the bullion work on this one is very neat and overall is very good.

I was reminded of some information I have that I forgot until prompted... I have seen this same fitting used on a reproduction.

John

Here's the wing that I purchased from Duncan's collection in the Bonham's auction. I was thrilled to be able to get even one piece. I know the half badges aren't as sexy as the full wings but I like them because of how briefly they were authorized for wear. The Junior/Reserve Military Aviator authorization for this badge was from August-mid October of 1917 and from mid-October - December 1917 they were authorized as the first pattern observer badge. After that they were replaced with the flying "O" badge. That means this badge was only authorized for wear from August-December of 1917. Five months is a pretty short lifespan for a military badge! Plus it's one of the very few US half wings and I guess I'm drawn to the oddball items and I love the bullion wings. And on top of it, it came from Duncan's collection which makes it very special to me and it's item 4A in his book. So without further delay, here it is.....

duncanjraviator.jpg

Very nice wing and it is very nice that it goes to such a nice home!

I agree, I think the 1/2 wings are both rarer and less appreciated by the general collecting community than they should be for some reason. I have always liked the 1/2 wings and I share your enthusiasm for your new little friend.

Good for you!

Patrick

:D Well I just got them on Tuesday since I didn't purchase them until post auction. Then my son kept me too busy to even get a half way decent photo of them until yesterday. But I thought I would share. Better late than never.

post-3422-1224433993.jpg

I'm a US Navy Wing collector and appears I'm still being educated on naval wings, what do I look for, for fake wings on ebay or other sties.

Nick

I'm a US Navy Wing collector and appears I'm still being educated on naval wings, what do I look for, for fake wings on ebay or other sties.

Nick

Welcome Nick,

There are a lot of really nice threads on fakes and such in this forum. Use the "SEARCH" function and look around, you should find lots of good pointers.

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...
tarheelyankee

Hello all. Thought I would add a nice photo of a WW1 Observer from my collection to share with everyone. Wish I had his wings. Tarheelyankee

post-6897-1248479774.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This is a recent find from Ebay. It was described in the text as a potential reproduction. After studying the pictures (and using this thread as a reference point), I felt that it was more than likely a good wing. After discussing it briefly with my "brain trust", I went ahead and bid on it--and bought it for a pretty good deal.

I think it is a classic US-made pattern bullion wing. In person, it has a very nice padding or "pillowing" under the shield. Not as deep as some wings I have seen, but sill very marked.

post-1519-1268977246.jpg