WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick -

Sorry for not following up sooner...

Yes, I can now see what you're referring to. I went to those pages you mentioned in WoH, and can see the wing resemblance(s). Very interesting...

Good eye!

-Chuck

Thanks Chuck

Its always nice to see photographic proof (such as it is) of a wing in use. It does seem that this wing pattern was associated this a number of 94th AS fliers. They also seemed to have adopted the pattern with sequins a bit later.

P

• 11 months later...

Here is another great period photograph from the leading internet auction site:

post-594-0-96865200-1508115779_thumb.jpg

Enlisted Soldier with Reserve Military Aviator wings.

This young, and somewhat glum looking, Sergeant is wearing Reserve Military Aviator wings on his chest.

Is he an "Enlisted Aviator" or is he a Reserve Military Aviator, previously a Lieutenant who opted to stay in the Army after the war--and continued to wear his RMA badge?

What an intriguing image!

Chris

Here is another great period photograph from the leading internet auction site:

attachicon.gifNaugatuck Novelty Company - 2 (3).jpg

Enlisted Soldier with Reserve Military Aviator wings.

This young, and somewhat glum looking, Sergeant is wearing Reserve Military Aviator wings on his chest.

Is he an "Enlisted Aviator" or is he a Reserve Military Aviator, previously a Lieutenant who opted to stay in the Army after the war--and continued to wear his RMA badge?

What an intriguing image!

Chris

Hey Chris. I own this photo. It's ID'd on back to a Charles Souza

Here's what I got on Sgt. Souza:

Born: Charles Richard Souza
DOB: 10.4.96 (California)
DOD: 7.5.61 (buried in Bloomington, California)
He original enlisted in the California National Guard on February 1, 1916 and then transferred to the Air Service to serve with the 15th Company, 3rd Air Service Mechanics Rgt. until discharge on July 17, 1919.
He never received a commission, but opted to remain a flying NCO during his aviation service.
-Chuck

I should also add the portrait was taken overseas...

The ribbons (I'm guessing) are California NG related. There's also an SSI on the left shoulder, but it's too difficult to tell from the angle. I suppose a good possibility is the ASM patch.

• 1 year later...

Interesting variation still sewn to the Houston tailored uniform of Capt Archibald L. Capt L. Spent the entire war at Ellington Field and Park Place.

post-594-0-59261900-1547308184_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

Thank you. Vaguely, the shape of this wing reminds me of the VN-era "bush pilot" novelty wings...

Chris

• 4 months later...

Patrick,

Thats great! Another nice add to your collection. I too have a special place in my heart for WW1 bullion wings!

Chris

Patrick,

You have inspired me!

Its been quiet around here on the WW1 front lately. Here are a few recent acquisitions:

post-594-0-35151500-1558808414.jpg

French made JMA/OBS half wing

post-594-0-66950900-1558808433.jpg

British made RMA (sewn to 3rd Air Park 1st Lt Jacket--tailored in London)

post-594-0-77188700-1558808459.jpg

US made RMA

Chris

Chris, great wings as always! This is such a cool thread. I REALLY love your English-made wing. For many years, I didn't really think that there were any Brit-made WWI bullion wings, but one of the old members of this forum (he misbehaved and was banned) had actually found and visited a shop in London that made bullion WWI pilot wings. The ones you have are very stunning and very unique!

Patrick,

Thanks as always for your kind words.

I also really like this (British?) bullion badge. One of the things you don't see in the straight-on photo above is how deeply three-dimensional the badge presents. The shield and especially the US are both highly padded:

post-594-0-57621500-1559405538.jpg

The double border of the shield is more visible in an oblique photo.

post-594-0-04974600-1559405558.jpg

This oblique image gives a better impression of the gold highlights in the shoulders: The outermost border of each shoulder feather is gold bullion wire while the innermost bullion is faceted silver wire. Just lovely!

I really have a soft spot in my head for WW1 bullion wings. Each one was hand made, and while they can be categorized, every one will show some level of uniqueness reflective of the hand that made them. Even as late as WW2, many bullion insignia were still made entirely by hand:

post-594-0-38960100-1559406663.jpg

National Geographic, 1943

Finally, this badge is pleasingly toned. At least on my monitor, and with my photo software, the images above are pretty representational of the actual coloration.

Best wishes

Chris

• 1 month later...

Found this photo online in the Texas State Archives. Unfortunately the negative is damaged on his face but the view of his wing is pretty clear:

post-594-0-10918700-1562370078_thumb.jpg

He appears to be wearing the same wings as post #225 and #234

Chris

Here is another photo found online:

post-594-0-36643900-1562370637_thumb.jpg

Captain Romer Shawhan

Capt Shawhan apparently wears French-made bullion wings.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Here is a new addition to the bullion wing case.

I suspect that this may be a French-made observer wing.

the tag on the back (written in fountain pen says it belonged to Lt Martin Adams of the 90th and 258th AS. No idea if that is true or not.

Though there was an observer in the 90th name Mortin Adams (not so different a name). I'll have to do some more research.

post-1519-0-96078400-1573261484_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-53350200-1573261497.jpg

I too have the wing, insignia and medal from Morton Adams of 90th aero. But it is different than the one you have shown, and is the ones hes wearing in the studio photo on the net. Ill try to post pics of it this weekend. Best Paul

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...