WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

Here's one. American made, pin back on metal form, named to Lt. Duncan Grant. Born in New Jersey, but enlisted from Vermont. Killed in a mid-air in England May 1918. These are heavy duty - 3 1/2" tip to bullion tip, very deep shield.

post-4331-1224646610.jpg

Second pair also US made, also pin back on a metal form. Provenece a little sketchy, but very possibly named (along with a pair of BBB Dallas Wings it was paired with) to an 139 Aero Squadron ace.

post-4331-1224646881.jpg

Observers wings named to New Jersey native Richard Austin of the 166th Aero Squadron. Still on his original summer weight tunic.

post-4331-1224647019.jpg

Last one - These from the uniform of Lt. Paul J. Feuchtwanger, another New Jersey boy. English made wings and as neat as they come. Unfortunately, I do not own these... :(

post-4331-1224647175.jpg

I posted a group of items ID'd to 2nd Lieutenant George Milan Smith under the "Grouping" topic of the forum. Figured I'd also put his wings here as well. Smith was a pilot with the 354th Aero Squadron and flew a DH4.

post-944-1225035512.jpg

post-944-1225035532.jpg

This is a picture of Lt S A Sloan who flew with the 278th Aero-squadron late in the war. I have a large grouping of his photos that I will be posting soon. Here are some nice scans of his wings.

Recently (both on this forum and with some discussion I have had with other collectors), the theory has been put forward that bullion wings that have the feathers delineated with thread maybe suspect. It was argued that the bullion thread should be individually sewn to form the feathers and not just have some black thread outlining a stretch of bullion. However, you can clearly see that in these wings, the individual feathers of the wings are clearly formed by the black thread. Also, perhaps this is just the photo, but these wings are not terribly symmetrical. Notice that "US" seems kind of spastic.

Patrick

post-1519-1225662724.jpg

post-1519-1225662740.jpg

Here is another good looking young fellow wearing another pattern of pinback bullion wings. Sadly, I dont have an ID on him. In this wing, you can see that the bullion thread is used to clearly form each winglet and that the black thread only looks like it is used to highlight the feathers. The US is very exact and everything looks to be nice and symmetrical.

post-1519-1225664800.jpg

post-1519-1225664809.jpg

I agree with you but disagree that the wings will have solid bullion with black thread over it. If you notice in the last 2 posted photo's the bullion is clear defined in small portions and accented by the black thread. Paul

Hiya Paul,

Don't want to hijack your great thread on bullion wings. Of course, it is also difficult to say for certain one way or the other on a simple photograph as to the construction of the bullion, but I do think that one reasonable interpretation of the wings are that not all wings had the bullion distinctly picked out, and some thread was used to delineate the winglets. On the other hand, I also agree that your point is well taken.

Best regards

Patrick

• 2 months later...
IMPERIAL QUEST

This wing is was worn by Major Harry Lynwood Wingate, Pilot/Instructor AEF WWI, Issoudun Training Center, France. The wing measures 3 1/2 in. X 1 1/8 in. (at shield). this wing features the very unusual incorporation of tiny sequin-style silver washers that make up the "feathers" in the lower portion of the wings.

As to not be redundant, please follow the link below to view detailed close shots of this wing:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new one I just picked up today. On a uniform named to a Lt. E. D. Fullerton, dated 5/18. With a very nice 2nd Army patch on shoulder. I'll try to post the rest of the uniform else where.

Going back to the question of the thread and the wings. This one looks like the threads are kind of loosely sewn between the bullion "feathers". The green in the US seems to be an artifact of the flash, and the thread doesn't look lime green in person.

Patrick

post-1519-1233006912.jpg

here is a slightly different angle on the wing. I think from this angle you can better see that the brownish thread is kind of loosely over the bullion. And the underlying thread in the US of the shield isnt so lime green colored.

post-1519-1233008492.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a nice photograph of Reed Chambers that nicely features his elegant bullion wing and 94th Aero Squadron pin above them. Photo also shows his seven victory marks in the hat band of the 94th insignia on the fuselage of his Spad.

Dave

post-4484-1235254160.jpg

Beautiful photo thanks for posting this beauty! This is the exact same wing shown on page 28 listed as WB-6 (wing badge) and attributed to Lt. Fred S. Dunn of the 11th and 26th Balloon Co.

The book is by Richard DesChenes and covers 1917-1922.

Here's a nice photograph of Reed Chambers that nicely features his elegant bullion wing and 94th Aero Squadron pin above them. Photo also shows his seven victory marks in the hat band of the 94th insignia on the fuselage of his Spad.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That's a wonderful photo of Captain Chambers and I hope you don't mind my scanning another one of the same that shows a bit more detail. The picture was taken in April 1919 at Fort Alexander, Coblenz, Germany during the 94th Aero Squadron "Air Carnival" tour for the Army of Occupation. Note the seven crosses painted in the hat band to indicate he shot down six airplanes and one balloon.

I've also added one more photo of Captain Chambers. If you will just click the image a couple of times in order to enlarged it to it's fullest extent the details on his wonderful and so elegant bullion wing badge which you brought to our attention will show up much, much better. Also of special interest is his silver 94th Aero Squadron pin attached just above the badge.

Cheers,

Cliff wink2.gif

post-4542-1235722817.jpg

post-4542-1235722862.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lt. H.A. Harding, 2nd pattern observer wing. I posted his uniform in that section and am looking for any info on him.

post-944-1236734393.jpg