WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

Ok,

Since there seems to be alot of chatter on wings, lets see if some of the WW1 collectors can shoot some pics of noted styles of wings, wings only, no hi jacking with other items, or groupings. Lets make this a reference for people looking to buy legit WW1 pilot and observer wings.. Paul

post-512-1224170371.jpg

French style wing, one of the usual patterns seen. Note the detail on the US on the shield, the lack of black separation threads for the feathering, and the even patina on the wing in general.

163rd Aero attributed

post-512-1224170437.jpg

Again another detailed wing, French manufactured is my suspicion.

25th Aero attributed

post-512-1224170510.jpg

Again another detailed wing with multiple styles of bullion.

141st Aero attributed

A few more,

post-512-1224170986.jpg

This one is slightly different in shape than most wings, the tips being very pointy. It again is highly detailed bullion work, defined US on the shield and the lack of thread to act as separation for the feathering On the wing.

This is attributed to a Foggiana pilot, I am unsure if it is Italian made or not.

post-512-1224170967.jpg

This is the Reserve Military aviator, used early on by reserve pilots, but regulations changed and the reserve pilot went with the standard pilot badge. This one was most likely used by a aerial observer. Again note the attention to detail on the US and stars and multiple bullion construction.

post-512-1224171002.jpg

This "Flying Anal Opening" or Observer badge.

The last change by regulation. It is again detailed bullion , this one has black thread used to highlight the separation of the feathers. The thread is no over on big section of bullion, rather in between sections of bullion.

Here are a few more, not the best photo's as they are cropped from photo's of my uniforms. Paul

post-512-1224187236.jpg

This is possibly a french made badge, this one is ID'd to an enlisted gunner who flew with both the 11th and 20th Aero Squadrons as a gunner.

.post-512-1224187437.jpg

another 1/2 wing, this one is very thick and detailed. It has a silk piece on the back of the wing, you can see it from the edges. ID'd to member of 88th Aero

post-512-1224187568.jpg

1/2 wing possibly Frenc made, nice detail on the wings and shield, the US has taken a beating over time. ID'd to member of the 8th Aero

post-512-1224188073.jpg

Another French made one, this one has darkened with age but still a real stunner. There are at least 5 different bullion wires used on this one, the bullion feathering detail is wonderful..

I'll add a few of mine (also shown here http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/02.html ).

This is one that I really like. Likely an English-made wing. It is hared to see, but the center part of the wing has a great deal of padding and really sticks out.

One thing to notice is that the edges have a darker patina then the top part of the wing. In my experience, this isn't that rare in these bullion wings and may be due to the "edge effect" of the end of the bullion being more exposed to the air than the center parts of the bullion.

Patrick

post-1519-1224277227.jpg

Here is another bullion wing. Also, a beauty (likely French made) and has an interesting two-tone look due to the different bullion patina. Don't know if this was intended or just an after the fact bonus, but in person, it sure looks great.

For me, bullion is either so-so (and barely worth the effort) or a stunning work of art. This wing and the previous wing, just seem to call out to me as being top-notch, extra-fine workmanship. But I may be biased

post-1519-1224283319.jpg

This is a nice very heavy bullion wing on dark blue background that is likely American-made. It is mounted on a brass backing plate with a short heavy pin and barrel catch. This wing belonged to 1/LT H Brubaker. Artistically, it is not as nice as the previous two wings, but still a very handsome piece. It has a very deep profile with very heavy bullion work. This style of bullion seems to be characteristic of American work, IMHO.

THe tarnish is pretty even all over the wing.

post-1519-1224283930.jpg

In the same patter as the wing above, here is another American-made wing. Also, characterized by thick heavy bullion thread with a very strong padded effect.

post-1519-1224284109.jpg

This is a military aeronaut wing (balloon pilot wing). The bullion is similar in pattern to the ones at the very top of the thread. It looks to have a goldish cast to it, but I don't have any issues with this wing. It looks like some of the outline of the wing was picked out in brown thread. It is kind of small compared to the other wings. Still, this is a very rare wing, as the number of balloon pilots was never that great to begin with.

post-1519-1224284594.jpg

The last WWI wing that I can add is this one. The pictures don't do it credit, as overall it is a rather nice wing. A very rare wing as well.

post-1519-1224284673.jpg

From the side showing it has a moderate padded effect. The photo flash seems to have washed out the wing a bit as it isnt really this "gold" in real life.

post-1519-1224284770.jpg

Last one.

This is an interesting wing. Looks like a WWI wing, but lacks the "US". I suspect it is a transition wing from likely the very early 20's. It was sewn on a uniform, and it looks like part of the wing was under the lapel, thus you have a very interesting patina on the wing. The outer left wing tip (the part that would be exposed) is very dark, but the rest of the wing is much lighter. I used to have some doubts about this wing, but the price was right and after spending many hours studying other bullion wings, I tend to lean towards the idea that it is indeed a good wing.

post-1519-1224284992.jpg

OK Paul - as promised a posting of my wing attributed to a 25th Aero pilot. Looks like the same pattern as your 25th pilot.....

Charlie W.