Cooking Outfit 15" Fork

Myers

I am working on the "Outfit, Cooking, 20-Man", and am doing some research on a few of the items I am missing; in particular the 15" Meat Fork. There are two main types so far as I have seen, the earlier tinned steel "stamped style", and the later bent wire type. If anyone has a lead on where I could find one of the stamped versions (bottom one in the photo), any help would be appreciated!

post-153520-0-57141800-1500332813_thumb.jpg

post-153520-0-07096600-1500333181.jpg

phantomfixer

This set sold on ebay recently...is the fork correct? I did not follow it to the end...

For now I am using a Bi Co. with the hanger cut off...will be functional until a 40s era fork can be found...

good luck with the search and if you find a stash of them..buried in a DRMO bin, or NG unit, let me know...

post-155518-0-25888100-1500382576.jpg

phantomfixer

the one in this set looks like a 18th/19th century flesh fork...and could be correct...a set of three sold on the G in 2009...three different styles...

I'm not sure if the one in the photo is correct for an "issue kit". Wouldn't be surprised if it were swapped out during the war, as it seems to match the patina on the other utensils. When I measure my utensil roll in approximately the same location where the fork sits (in the above photo), it only comes in around 10", much too short. There was a war on, so who knows if they substituted different size utensils, but I haven't seen another fork like the one pictured.

The bottom fork (US 1941) in my original photo appears in all the wartime photos of 20-Man sets that I have seen so far. Unfortunately there is very little pictorial record of these kits.