Field jacket with patches: Northern Warfare Training Center

mike2013

What's the patch above the right pocket?

Unit patch is 172nd Infantry Brigade which would have been in Alaska during the 1970's - very early 80's, when that jacket would have been worn.

Air assault badge I *think* was authorized around 1974? Not sure but that gives you a "no earlier than" date.

Patches above the right pocket were not authorized per AR-670-1 but I think they were permitted on some posts by exception. I've also seen foreign awards above the right pocket on fatigues/BDUs but I think that practice was formally abolished in the mid 1980's.

The white patch is the cold weather warfare school I think

That is what it basically is, although the current title is Northern Warfare Training Center.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Warfare_Training_Center

This is the first time I have actually seen it on a uniform; probably authorized for wear by the local command.

Yeah I seen this being worn before,(Though not this guy :D) they're worn by the cadre at the Black Rapids Training Center (maybe by some elemts that were at Ft Greely). Black Rapids, a very small post, a Compound is more like it. Was there twice, once for Glacier Training, July 1981, and Ski Training, oh in March 1982. Who knows maybe this guy was there when I was there those two times.

The wear of the 172nd Infantry Brigade patch gels with the fact that even though this unit was not really a part of our brigade, it fell under this odd entity called the 172nd Light Infantry Brigade or 172nd LIB, which took over for U.S. Army Alaska in December 1972. So yeah, I would date this to the late 70s early 80s

It just occurred to me that I have never seen a subdued version of this patch.

This is from the Institute of Heraldry as far as dating the Air Assault badge:

"The Air Assault Badge was approved by the Chief of Staff, Army, on 18 January 1978, for Army-wide wear by individuals who successfully completed Air Assault training after 1 April 1974. The badge had previously been approved as the Airmobile Badge authorized for local wear by the Commander of the 101st Airborne Division, effective 1 April 1974."

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=15435&CategoryId=9361&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services&from=search

So that also corresponds with late 1970's until the 80's when the BDU's came in.

Here's a photo of the little Cross at the top of the main mountain at Black Rapids I took on that July 81 trip there, guys would pin all sorts of insignia of rank and units and qualification and skill badges on it as we see, while we can't see it, because it's on a part of the base of the cross that can't be seen, there was one of these NWTC patches nailed on it, a color one. As gwb mentioned, I don't recall a subdued one, here it was on their OG Wool shirts rather than field jackets, like wise on that winter trip in March 82, then, these cadre guys wore parkas rather then field jackets, in Alaska (in the 81-82 period, though uniform prescriptions of course will vary from time period to time period) field jackets were only worn in the fall, before it got real cold, likewise in the late winter when it started to get a little warmer.

post-34986-0-26265500-1374374533.jpgpost-34986-0-34394000-1374374519.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 10:10 AM, patches said:

Here's a photo of the little Cross at the top of the main mountain at Black Rapids I took on that July 81 trip there, guys would pin all sorts of insignia of rank and units and qualification and skill badges on it as we see, while we can't see it, because it's on a part of the base of the cross that can't be seen, there was one of these NWTC patches nailed on it, a color one. As gwb mentioned, I don't recall a subdued one, here it was on their OG Wool shirts rather than field jackets, like wise on that winter trip in March 82, then, these cadre guys wore parkas rather then field jackets, in Alaska (in the 81-82 period, though uniform prescriptions of course will vary from time period to time period) field jackets were only worn in the fall, before it got real cold, likewise in the late winter when it started to get a little warmer.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_07_2013/post-34986-0-26265500-1374374533.jpghttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_07_2013/post-34986-0-34394000-1374374519.jpg

Lets repost those two Cross Images that got Corrupted,

cross h.jpg

cross g.jpg