Big Museum for a Small Town: Eldred (PA) WWII Museum

gwb123

My brother sent me the link to this, and it is quite the surprise. In the town of Eldred, PA there is a very nice looking World War II museum. The displays look professionally done, and the museum appears to have a very active outreach program. The photos on the website speak for themselves.

http://eldredpawwiimuseum.com/

The explanation for why there is such a museum in a rural Pennsylvania town with a population of 850 people is that it was once the site of a WWII munitions plant that served both the British and later the US. I am guessing its location is due to combination of remote location, local sourcing of raw materials and a relatively short distance to Lake Ontario.

Google Maps tells me it is 85 miles from Buffalo, NY and 109 miles to Erie, PA.

If anyone has the opportunity to visit there, please feel free to add information to this thread.

Eldred.jpg

uniformcollector

Nice museum! I have never been there, but heard that they also have Mitchell Paige's uniform there.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Incredible!

It really is off the beaten path!

Looks very well done though.

-Jeremy

A couple of years ago, the wife and I drove from Dallas to Vermont for a vacation. One of the reasons the 3 day drive was not so bad, were the side trips to interesting places that Kathy found. The Eldred WW2 Museum was one of those stops. It is deceiving when you drive up to it, but WOW, once you get in, it is incredible. Anyone who lives nearby or is travelling in the area needs to stop and visit. It is well worth it.

Thanks,

Al