The one I regret selling, so I got another

emccomas

During my recent medal liquidation sale, I sold my United Daughters of the Confederacy Vietnam Conflict Cross of Military Service.

That is one of the few that I regret sell. Most of you are aware that I have a soft spot for these UDC CMS medals.

So, another showed up on Ebay recently, and I got it (see pictures).

The box has an "interesting" phrase on the side of it. Perhaps someone can help me figure out who this CMS was awarded to.

The phrase says "VIETNAM #1240 Adm. Bass". Really, Admiral Bass? Any ideas who that might be? Was there an Admiral Bass that served during Vietnam, or is this a nickname that was used by an enlisted man after his service tour was over.

Thoughts?

Ed

post-12036-0-22805000-1500297872_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-02429000-1500297880_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-07596500-1500297890_thumb.jpg

Sgt. BARney

Congratulations, and glad you found another one!

The regret of selling something you wish you had kept is followed closely by the regret of "I sure wish I had bought that ________ (fill in the blank) the first time I saw it".

Just a thought on the writing. The ribbon did remind me of the a Vietnamese ribbon at first glance. Glad you found another one.

Bob

Bullseye881

I remember seeing this medal being sold through a recent online estate liquidation auction in Virginia, the gentleman's name was Rear Admiral Thomas E. Bass III. Here is a link to his obituary: http://www.dailyprogress.com/eedition/mapping/thomas-e-bass-iii-rear-admiral-u-s-navy-retired/article_beb4f616-3d69-5e0b-ab5a-875019b541ef.html

Many thanks guys, that was quick. I appreciate it.

This one will stay with me, and I will update the CMS list as well.

I did sell the Philippines Insurrection CMS, and have just wrapped a up a deal for the Spanish American War CMS and an extra Korean Conflict CMS that I have.

I am OK with letting the PI and SpanishAM CMS medals go, but the rest I will be hanging onto.

I still have lost of documentation (particularly on WWI recipients) to get updated and posted. Never enough time.

firefighter

NIce. The one I wish I still had was my INDIAN WARS medal, numbered. I was young and dint care about those old camping medals.But man that was a nice one, excellent condition. Ughhhhhh! Congrats on getting a new medal and a nice traceable to a high ranking man.

• 3 weeks later...

And the story gets better...

I purchased the Vietnam CMS for Admiral Bass off of Ebay to replace the one I regretted selling.

One forum member had acquired the Korean Conflict CMS for Admiral Bass, and was kind enough to sell it to me (and thank you sir).

And I just won the World War II CMS for Admiral Bass that was listed on Ebay.

All three will soon be joined together.

Now it I could just locate the associated certificates.

post-12036-0-12104400-1502100048.jpg

post-12036-0-82931600-1502100059_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-60126100-1502100068_thumb.jpg

Fantastic result!

And a interesting Award... Please tell me, is the number researchable in any way?

Regards Bjorn

Hey, admiral Bass's WW2 UDC Cross just sold on ebay the other day! I kept trying to figure out where i knew the name from! Hope you got it Ed!

Hey, admiral Bass's WW2 UDC Cross just sold on ebay the other day! I kept trying to figure out where i knew the name from! Hope you got it Ed!

I did get it. All three of Admiral Bass' UDC CMS medals are together again.

Here is another one that I regret selling, so I got another one. I still had the case, service ribbon, and lapel pin. I got the medal from Ebay, thanks to another forum member.

I an NOT getting back into collecting medals, but there are a few that I really like. This is one of them.

post-12036-0-44965700-1502612988_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-31022500-1502612996_thumb.jpg