A family of AE Co wings

pfrost

I have slowly been working on a complete set of AE Co wings for many years. The average price I have paid for these are about 30$ each. The thing is, I only seem to add one or two a year. I find duplicates of some, but others are very elusive.

All have the AE Co hallmark.

post-1519-1224992268.jpg

Nice family photos! I have to say I do not think I have seen the CP nor Silver FS... I am missing a few more than you but hope to change that with time ;)

"The average price I have paid for these are about 30$ each. The thing is, I only seem to add one or two a year."

LOL at those prices you are doing GREAT!! Seriously, nice set!

Paul

"The average price I have paid for these are about 30$ each. The thing is, I only seem to add one or two a year."

LOL at those prices you are doing GREAT!! Seriously, nice set!

Paul

Its how you find them and how long you are willing to wait. I tend to only shop at the flea markets and when they come out, they usually come out cheap! I spent as little as 5$ for the AE Co pilot and the observer wing. Around 10$ for the aircrew wing. The bombardier and gunner wings were around 25$ each. The service pilot wing cost me 50$, and the flight surgeon wing was 75$ (but had I been a few steps quicker, I would have got it for 35$... lucky for me, the guy who bought it was agreeable to a quick "hey, do you want to double your money deal" and sold it to me moments after he got it). The senior pilot wing and liaison pilot wings were part of a big deal I made, but I figure were into the 100$/per wing category, but I latter did some horse trading and got most of my money back out by selling some other stuff, so I kind of figure them to have actually been much cheaper.

I have found that AE Co wings tend to get overlooked because they look just like regular "issue" wings from the front and guys tend to ignore them. Like the AE Co made Luxenberg marked wings. I got this ID'd wing out of an antique mall for less than 50$.

On the flip side, I have been collecting wings since the early 90's and I still don't have a complete set of AE co wings. Some of the rarer wings are really a "once in a lifetime" catch, and you don't often get second chances at those prices. Since I like the hunt as much as the buying, I have been reluctant to use EBay to fill out the set (or at least score a glider pilot wing). I think you have to have a great deal of patience to collect the way I do and be willing to have holes in the collection for a very long time.

P

post-1519-1225210548.jpg

I've seen sterling Flight Surgeons, but don't recall seeing an AE Co. Command Pilot.

Questions: Aside from the alphabet wings and FS, which ones would you consider more difficult than others? Are the hallmarks within a triangle older than the more commonly found marks?

When I get some birds out to play with...I call them a flock.

Here's a flock:

post-3515-1225311219.jpg

I've seen sterling Flight Surgeons, but don't recall seeing an AE Co. Command Pilot.

Questions: Aside from the alphabet wings and FS, which ones would you consider more difficult than others? Are the hallmarks within a triangle older than the more commonly found marks?

When I get some birds out to play with...I call them a flock.

Here's a flock:

AE Co made just about all the different types of wings. I have seen the AE Co command pilot, Tech Observer, jump wing and USN pilot wing. I believe they may have also made one or two of the balloon wing series as well.

They used a variety of hallmarks on their wings.

Patrick