USMC bolo. Real or not

robinb

The Clyde markings were indeed etched rather than stamped and wear off very easily. Rather hard to find in this nice clear condition. If I had it, I would not even slide it in and out of the scabbard as that wear could damage the marking.

I read somewhere that some of the unmarked Corpsman knives are really Clyde knives that have had the markings erased over time from doing just that...

But what about the USMC marking being etched? I thought the Clyde's USMC marking was stamped, and the company logo was etched?

Frank Trzaska

I have reservations on it. Wrong handle and wrong number of rivets, Chatillon was the only producer to use the three rivet handle. Clyde logo marking is different then others and lacks the MADE IN USA on it. The originals I have observed had sans serif U.S.M.C. and periods in between the STAMPING.

Atlanta Cutlery is importing a reproduction of the USMC HCK currently that looks quite a bit like this one... Just a thought.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Still-A-Marine

Sorry but I have to agree with Frank Trzaska on this. The font does not look right and I have always seen the periods between U.S.M.C.

For reference see The Best Of U.S. Military Knives, Bayonets & Machetes by M. H. Cole page 59.

Bill

I have reservations on it. Wrong handle and wrong number of rivets, Chatillon was the only producer to use the three rivet handle. Clyde logo marking is different then others and lacks the MADE IN USA on it. The originals I have observed had sans serif U.S.M.C. and periods in between the STAMPING.

Atlanta Cutlery is importing a reproduction of the USMC HCK currently that looks quite a bit like this one... Just a thought.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

OH, MAN, is anything sacred any more!? crying.gif Frank, I had no idea. Well here is a link to Atlanta Cutlery's latest fake offering ad nauseam. thumbdown.gif After a while, all HCK's are going to be suspect. Buyers beware!

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/atlantacutle...il.aspx?ID=2039

Well, I'll be! I did not know that these are being reproduced! Guess I will have to do my homework from now on.

I cant understand why they are making replicas, you can get a real one off ebay for the price they want! If they want to make a replica, how about a decent 1918 MK I or Collins V44 bowie?

Greg Robinson
Well, I'll be! I did not know that these are being reproduced! Guess I will have to do my homework from now on.

Me also....I had NO idea these existed. I used to live near Atlanta Cutlery but since I moved I don't keep up with their latest products.

The corpsmen bolos used to be relatively inexpensive and plentiful. But I've been seeing some wild selling prices lately on ebay

Greg

• 3 months later...
Corpsmancollector

Reproduction Bolo's?! What!

I had no idea these were getting made. I cant understand why, they aren't the most difficult edges weapon to pick up. Still, I will have to be a little more street wise these days. Thanks for contributing to an interesting thread guys