Vietnam KIA Navy Swift Boat Group

Dave

ATC-112-23.jpg.b967a61b94d104499a8d3da49ba67154.jpgat.PNG.72d186e7b5e78b42fd96ada83200de2a.PNG

On August 18, 1968, River Assault Divisions 91 (RAD 91) craft were conducting assault operations in Dinh Tuong Province, RVN, when they were ambushed seven miles northwest of Cai Be. RAD 91 was attacked in two ambushes along the Hai Muoi Tam Canal. In one assault, a rocket crashed into the well deck of an Armored Troop Carrier (ATC) 112-2, incapacitating a full platoon of army troops. Two more rockets struck the coxswain flat. The first tore the barred armor side, and the second burned through, spraying a sailor and the radioman with shrapnel. They survived their wounds. There were three Navymen killed, one sailor declared missing, and 29 wounded and medevacked. U.S Army losses amounted to two soldiers killed and 53 wounded during the devastating ambushes. Six assault craft were damaged, three of them heavily as a result of the attack. Enemy losses amounted to 41 Viet Cong killed. The lost sailors on the ATC 112-2 were BM3 Stephen C. Brunton, GMG3 Edward R. Darville III, RM3 Patrick J. Griffin, and BM3 Billy D. Roy. BM3 Roy was the seaman originally reported missing and was recovered the same day. The lost soldiers were PFC Hector Lugo-Mojica and PFC John F. Sullivan from 4th Battalion, 47th Infantry. Both Lugo-Mojica and Sullivan were posthumously promoted to Corporal. [Taken from coffeltdatabase.org and wendellaffield.com]

READ LESS

Hello Folks,  As I was looking over the noted USN, RVN / MRF Group, I remembered that I too had a similar Group, yet apparently not up to BSM level, at least according to the USN's Brass ? Based upon the pretty descriptive 'Letter' I was fortunate enough to come across, I at least would have considered the individual involved to be worthy of at least the USN Commendation Medal w/ 'V' ? Throughout my many searches on him, I couldn't find any other Award[s] which may have stemmed from his actions on 04 April 1968 while Coxswain of 'Tango' Boat T92-5 ? So presumably, I consider the subsequent awarding of the Navy Achievement Medal w/ 'V' was 'probably' related to that particular action ? ( He was also WIA during that action, receiving an SFW to arm, IIRC. ) If anyone happens to be especially knowledgeable regarding that particular event, & or RAD 92 / RAS 9 in general, particularly the early to mid 1968 timeframe, I would truly appreciate hearing from them. I'm also extremely interested in learning 'anything' about the author of the Letter I referred to, as other than his name, & the fact that he served alongside 'my' Lawrence C. Ferguson in RVN, presumably in the same exact unit, although not in the same Boat Crew. For if I could possibly locate him, I might be able to determine additional details pertaining to that 04 April 1968 VC Ambush, which occurred at 0843 hours, along the Song Ba Lai River, Truc Giang District, Kien Hoa Province, RVN. I have included a brief excerpt from my Research Notes, along with his Award Record as found online. If anyone can add 'anything' to what I've learned already, I would deeply appreciate it !! THANK YOU Guys,

Best,     Dom P. 

Ref. To:  BM-2 Lawrence Clyde Ferguson

SOURCE: the U.S. NAVY & MARINES ~ AWARDS & DECORATIONS,
1942 - 1994

DETAIL: 
Name: Lawrence Clyde Ferguson
Award Date:  05 September 1968
Type of Medal: U.S. Navy Achievement Medal / with 'Combat V'
Military Unit:  6410
Military Service Branch: U.S. Navy
Action: Meritorious
Office: Enlisted
Awarded By:  Commander in Chief U.S. Pacific Fleet

RE: ©>>> LAWRENCE 'LARRY' C. FERGUSON ~ USN / RVN SERVICE - NOTES & DATA:

USN SERVICE # 587-22-14
RVN RANKS: BM-3 / BM-2

1st RVN SERVICE TOUR
FROM.:  25 SEPTEMBER 1967
TO:  26 SEPTEMBER 1968

IN:  CTZ 4, w/ RAS 9 / RAD 92

Served as COXSWAIN on  ATC T 92-5

WIA at approximately 0845 [ +/- ] on 04 APRIL 1968, • along the Song Ba Lai River, Truc Giang District, Kien Hoa Province, RVN

LCF's ~ 1st RVN TOUR / OOB & RELATED DUTIES: 

COMMANDER TASK FORCE – 117
U.S. MOBILE RIVERINE FORCE

CTF-117 RIVER ASSAULT FLOTILLA 1
RIVER ASSAULT SQUADRON – 9
RIVER ASSAULT DIVISION – 91
*RIVER ASSAULT DIVISION – 92

NOTE:  *L.C. F. Assigned To River Assault Squadron 9 - Of - River Assault Division 92, Served as Coxswain aboard 'TANGO' T92-5

LCF's ~ 2nd RVN TOUR:

UNIT:  U.S. NAVAL ADVISORY GROUP / OVERSEAS TOUR
~ VIETNAM

TO:  22 MARCH 1974

420335905_OurHeroLarryFerguson.jpg.41f8b250767d264163aa7ab3e8a01c37.jpg