My new M1 Carbine looking to see how correct it is

chrisjr88fan

chrisjr88fan

I Just picked up this m1 Carbine yesterday.It is a an Inland dated 3-44 Inland Div. General Motors

Im not really familiar with these,but I have taken down the gun and looked at all of the parts for

any manufacturer marks,here is a list of what ive found so far,let me know what you think,Is it original

or a mixmaster.Also would you consider the serial number low?

Front sight "N"

Front barrel band "UI"

Trigger housing Inland

Mag Release "M"

Mag catch "SI"

Trigger "RI"

Push button safety I know is probably wrong as it is smooth

Sear "RI"

Flat bolt "OI"

Slide "PI"

Hammer "HI"

Rear sight "S" Flip sight

Reciver Swedged Inland

Ejector Type 1

Extractor Type3 "WI"?

Firing pin Type 2 "WI"

Ejector Type 2 3 bevel

Gas Cylinder II

Piston unmarked

Stock has cartouche on the rear right side and "OI" in the sling well

2 Rivet top piece "OI"

Butt plate I believe is Inland as well

post-154069-0-46394500-1500169883_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-97668400-1500170027_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-21122500-1500170165_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-76685200-1500170319_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

Early number for 3-44 i think. There a few sites, I'm on my phone and it's a pain to do, but Google M1 carbine markings and they pop up. A lot of inland parts were unmarked, btw.

I'm working on my own 3-44 dated inland carbine at the moment.

Garandomatic

No Problem! Yours is a nice one, i think. I opted for mine because they're were only 5 pieces that didn't exactly belong!

everforward

IMO the serial number on this carbine is far too early for it to have a barrel date of 3-44, unless those numbers in the Inland contract weren't used until that time, I'd have to look that up and see--but off the top of my head the barrel should be much earlier. My own Inland is dated 8-43 and had has a 6-digit serial number.

everforward

I thought I'd post some fresh pics of my own Carbine...I needed that because I was remembering things wrong about my own, LOL...

It is original and unaltered, so it may be a good reference to go by as far as what is 'correct' and what isn't.....

It has a barrel date of 4-43, I had said 8-43 earlier so my recollection of that was off too...! Can you tell I don't get them out much...340133 sn#.

I also took some pics of the sight to show as a reference.

post-8237-0-70993900-1500239625_thumb.jpg

post-8237-0-22291100-1500239672_thumb.jpg

post-8237-0-53368400-1500239735_thumb.jpg

chrisjr88fan

I have noticed that your rear flip sight is different than mine,it appears one of the aperatures is thicker than the one on my carbine

everforward

I have noticed that your rear flip sight is different than mine,it appears one of the aperatures is thicker than the one on my carbine

The one on my Carbine is typical of what was used at the time it was made...yours is marked as it should be for an early Inland as well, and they may have been made slightly different at that time.........I'd recommend looking at as many known good examples as early as yours and make a determination on its originality....study as many photos as you can and go from there.

chrisjr88fan, you have a nice carbine. However, I believe the barrel should be 1942 dated [7/42-9/42, "The M1 Carbine Owners Guide" Ruth and Duff, 1999, pg.25] and the parkerizing on the receiver looks too fresh, not the patina required for a carbine that is 75 years old. The hammer should be a type 1 dog leg style and the trigger housing should have a spring loaded trigger housing pin. The right side of the receiver housing trigger pin leg should be grooved to receive the spring loaded trigger pin.

A good book for identifying the correct parts/codes would be "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime production" by Craig Riesch, North Cape Publications, 6th Edition. I hope this helps.

Chuck

chrisjr88fan

Lambo35...Could you tell me which hammer mine is? I also need to replace the magazine catch,was told it should be flat? As for the spring pin,I read online that it was done way with in early 1943...I sure wish I knew when my receiver was made and month

post-154069-0-76872600-1500395413_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-24418100-1500395437_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-96145100-1500395686_thumb.jpg

Its a nice carbine,I have several Inlands.Just like them over all.Im not a purist.Two I have are WW2 correct and not "restored"

To me many of these like your carbine are "correct" as thats how it ended its service life or came out of stock to the market.

Yours is a nice looking rifle.

Chrisjr88fan, first of all you have a great collectable carbine and it will be time consuming and very expensive to bring yours back to what it looked like [parts and patina wise] when it was made in July -September 1942. There are just too many hard to find missing parts, including the barrel. Your 3/43 barrel is about 6 months too late. Your hammer which is a type 2 and it should have a type 1 which was used until about serial number 90,000. Your trigger housing is also later war produced, the rear housing lugs should be beveled and the housing pin opening on the front lug will be slotted for the pin spring. The hammer spring should have 21-22 coils , not 25-26. I have not memorized these numbers etc, I am looking at Craig Riesch's book, a must have if you are going to catch [i think you already have] the addiction to M1 carbines. As the addiction takes hold the number of books increase along with spare parts and complete carbines. Woe is me! :(

Chuck

Chris, another thing you can check is on the left side of the trigger housing, where the hammer strikes the side rail. If a later t3 hammer was ever used in that housing it will leave an impression [mark] on the rail that will be behind where your t2 hammer now hits the housing side. With the hammer cocked you should be able to see both marks, unless it has been removed and the housing re-parked. A type 1, 2 hammer leaves a mark about .55" from the rear of the magazine well and the t3 hammer mark will be about .66" back.

Chuck

chrisjr88fan

I Thank you for all of your information, I have been bitten by the carbine bug,I was looking at Classic Firearms youtube page earlier and they have a few really nice CMP M1s coming out tomorrow at noon,They have a really nice Winchester I was looking at....Heres a picture of the hammer mark I think you are referring too.Could you tell me what the emblem is down under the hammer looks like a crown? I guess I just have to live with it, its not close to original so ill just leave it as is and have fun shooting it!

post-154069-0-43052700-1500424540_thumb.jpg

post-154069-0-04577600-1500425027_thumb.jpg

Chris, the hammer mark looks good for that housing and it does not appear to have ever had a t3 hammer installed. Does the hammer pin hole in the housing have a slot for the spring? Your serial number [below 15,000] I believe is too early for that type trigger housing if it does not have the spring cut out.

I have not seen the crown like stamp before, maybe post war European service.

Your carbine is what it is and I know you will enjoy shooting it and hunting for the correct parts.

Chuck

All I can say is good luck hunting for the correct magazine release. I have Inland 273** and have about given up on finding one for mine. My barrel date is 9-42.

The push button safety yours started life with would have been checkered with a bevel. I did luck out and find a checkered safety but no bevel.