Is this a WWI U.S. or British helmet?

No Quarter

Hello, I have a WWI Brodie style helmet. It is of British manufacture because there is a Brodie War Office stamp on the liner. But my question is, was it used by the AEF? I ask this because the helmet has the sand texture on it which I heard was only done by American soldiers. I'm wondering if it a British manufactured helmet loaned to the U.S. and used by American forces? The stamp on the inside brim reads H 451. I am not an expert on WWI helmets so any info would be appreciated!

Jacob

post-162535-0-83996400-1500142399_thumb.jpg

paul kennedy

It's a nice British Brodie helmet. These were used by US forces also, however the british helmets also used a gravel texture, so I don't know there is any way to tell where this was used.

If I recall correctly, the US bought 400,000 helmets from the British (they have the split rivets holding the bails on), and put US liners in them and issued them to soldiers until the US could start making their own (solid rivets for the bails). This would be one of those; metal and bails with split rivets UK made, liner US made and issued to US soldiers.

If I recall correctly, the US bought 400,000 helmets from the British (they have the split rivets holding the bails on), and put US liners in them and issued them to soldiers until the US could start making their own (solid rivets for the bails). This would be one of those; metal and bails with split rivets UK made, liner US made and issued to US soldiers.

The liner has the Brodie War Office stamp however so that would be British made correct?

Jacob

Its British but as stated many were in use by US Forces,You will see a lot of the units that went over early get them and often encountered in the 1st or 2nd Division amnd Marine groups I have seen over the years.Also have a mint one from a area 34th vet,

Your first clue in a Brodie is the chin strap swivel rivits...the Brits were split and folded back as seen on yors.The US used a flattened or peened rivit.Quickest way to tell a US from Brit helmet(liner or not) is the rivits fir the chinstrap swivels