How NOT to Take Dents Out of Your Canteens

Sgt. BARney

Sgt. BARney

For years, I've had one of those US look-a-like aluminum canteens stamped "JAPAN". It was dented up pretty bad all over - probably less than half it's original volume. I decided to try freezing water in it to remove the dents.

I would fill the canteen to the top, screw on the cap, and put it in the freezer overnight. Next day, take it out and let it thaw a little, then refill and repeat. I repeated this for 6 cycles (probably should have stopped at 5). All the dents were removed and the canteen generally forced back into shape. However, that last cycle rounded the bottom out and the long indentation on the back. Also, it did not bust or split any seams.

I guess the method works, but my technique needs refinement.

Note - I did this with an otherwise useless/worthless canteen and I sure don't recommend trying it on a keeper.

post-160365-0-76376400-1500084516_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-60195400-1500084525_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-40618000-1500084533_thumb.jpg

I am guessing the gauge of the metal might be thicker on US issued canteens.

The only way you will know if it works will be to try it on a US issued one.

I've done it on a US canteen, did the same thing. I just knocked it back flat... It can work, and would work great if you had a form with no give to put the canteen in, but unless you do it's pretty hit or miss

There is a video on YouTube about salvaging equipment taken from the battlefield (Army, WWII) which shows canteens having the dents taken out by compressed air. It worked right away. I'm sure they had the compressor set at a pre-determined air pressure level so as not to explode the canteen.

Steve

Sgt. BARney

Thanks for the comments!

I may try filling the canteen with sand and tapping the bottom out flat again. Also, dig thru the junk pile and see if I can find something about the right shape to do the same for the long indentation on the back.

Thanks for the comments!

I may try filling the canteen with sand and tapping the bottom out flat again. Also, dig thru the junk pile and see if I can find something about the right shape to do the same for the long indentation on the back.

Possibly a large round dowel or brass shaft section would work to placed on the area and tapped with a hammer or mallet??

Repair of dents in these canteens was accomplished with the use of a 2-piece full-length form which fully enclosed the canteen but through which the mouth and neck protruded. 120 lbs of air pressure was applied internally, thereby removing all dents.

You could go old school. From the 1915 "Instructions for the care and repair of small arms and ordnance equipment". :D

post-192-0-55727400-1500247954_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-64279600-1500247960_thumb.jpg

I knocked the dents out of an aluminum cup by heating it up in the oven to soften the metal first. It worked well.

I use a base ball bat to reform the side.

I don't know why that just made me envision you beating the heck out of a canteen with a baseball bat

• 4 weeks later...
Sgt. BARney

Thanks for all the replies and ideas!

Yeah, the baseball bat might be a good way to get back to step one, and start over.

Keystone - That mandrell/tool you showed is about my speed and level of technology, plus I think I have the correct body shape (low center of gravity), which looks to be key to the process!!!

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Excellent advice all around.

I kinda actually like smaller dents here and there, myself.

I don't have any canteens that have significant dents though.

These I might feel diferently about.

-Jeremy

I agree - I think some small dents here and there just add to the interest.

This canteen was an experiment. It is one of those aluminum canteens marked "JAPAN" and was smashed severely. I always wondered about taking dents out by freezing water, and thought this one would be a good guinea pig.

I don't know why that just made me envision you beating the heck out of a canteen with a baseball bat

Definitely not just you had that vision. Funniest mental picture of the week!

Mikie