Vf 111 sundowners hgu 33

Kyle80s

this helmet is reserved for me, I am currently on the fence with this being authentic or just a copied version of the sundowners, here are some pictures of it, I have more pictures due to be sent on Monday I can share, I would really appreciate if any of you could advise on whether it's genuine vf111 or a copy? post-163622-0-91940500-1500060378_thumb.jpgpost-163622-0-52471900-1500060512_thumb.jpg

this helmet is reserved for me, I am currently on the fence with this being authentic or just a copied version of the sundowners, here are some pictures of it, I have more pictures due to be sent on Monday I can share, I would really appreciate if any of you could advise on whether it's genuine vf111 or a copy? attachicon.gif resized_s-l1600 (3).jpgattachicon.gif resized_s-l1600 (7).jpg

post-163622-0-32333800-1500061899_thumb.jpg

The first thing that stands out is how fresh the cover is. The yellowing of the helmet looks good, but no major dings or scratches. Also, the oxygen mask receivers are not chipped up at all. Was it set up as a presentation piece?.....maybe. It just does not show any signs of a cockpit worn helmet. But that's just MY opinion.

I agree the oxygen receivers look unused, may have been repainted? They do look bright white, most pictures I see the receivers are faded white with a yellow/brown aged look. Also yellow reflective tape is pale in colour I think, which is the main reason I requested more photos of this helmet in natural light. From the pictures I can see every bit of tape is hand cut. I know eBay had many vf111 helmet decal sets for sale, I am confident no eBay sticker has been applied to this helmet.

What if the pilot actually took great care of this helmet from damage?

Or may be he was assigned to a different squadron soon after this helmet was built and he kept this in storage?

Tape job looks like it was done very recently. Also, the tape job on the helmet itself is not done very well.

The helmet is way too clean. F-14s and F-4s were very dirty aircraft. Carrier aviation is an extremely dirty environment and helmets, equipment and people take a beating. I am pretty certain this helmet never saw fleet duty.

Chris

post-163622-0-34045400-1500136238.jpg

This picture I just found looks to me a proper used authentic helmet. Notice the richness in colour of the yellow reflective tape compared to the suspect copied version, and the wear and tear marks.

I am beginning to be convinced I have reserved a reproduction, I have wanted a vf111 helmet for years and again I find one and it's probably a retape job.

I almost payed for this helmet, but was doubtful in its authenticity, cheers guy's, second opinion is always handy in this game.

By the way anyone have a vf111 helmet for sale? ...anyone?

AlbertBergeon

It's funny because the one you show in your last post is not original. Concerning the tape jobs, they were cut with templates, it was the 80's, it wasn't made with printers or laser cut or any other modern shinola. Look at this one, it's one of the few real proved originals, it's at the Air and Space museum, it's clean (the pilot didn't make his F-14's oil or plugs change with his helmet on his head), the tape job isn't perfect but I'm sure someone will tell you it's a repro because of that ;)

post-162520-0-45945900-1500280586_thumb.jpg

i seen this pic too and from other angles. this one dose have velcro on it. yeah you can see the visor cover decals are hand cut. by the way the seller cancelled my order i must have asked too many questions?

I would stay away from this seller ...

99% retaped helmet and way to expensief for these helmets.

In a other forum group are several members going nuts if they hear the name "swissthing".