Marines in China

Dirk

Thanks guys...I like the early stuff best. There is so much that is out there that is either wrong or mislabeled on the early period. I am hoping to get in a grouping of letters this week from an enlisted man that may add more details to this thread. I've already found him in the rolls and know what company he was in and some of the things he did.

Gary: I was re-reading her book last night and that was her favorite dog (she is holding) of those she had. Got to thank you for all the background info on uniforms that pointed me in the right direction for research. I am not done with this topic.

DD: This album did not come to me off ebay, it came through another auction house. Although three images I added for this thread did...the PPCs. What you may have seen several years ago was an army medical officers photo album that the seller listed as a Boxer album....it was not, in fact it had several of the images shown in my thread. The seller got everything wrong in his description and refused to listen to what a number of people were telling him on the period of his album. These (mine and the army album) were not taken by a corespondent but instead by either the owner, post photographer or a professional photographer who by this time had a studio in Peking. He marked his images in a distinct way. I've got a very nice portrait of one of the marine attaches by this man and he was truly a master photographer.

BTW can you please post a shot of the whole image of the Hata picture you have to include the surrounding cardboard frame. It helps me id Asian frame styles. And is great for dating pictures and regions where the images were taken.

Thanks

post-397-1171769851.jpgHi, Those are dynamite photos and a most interesting and enjoyable thread. Thanks for sharing. I have just one ad that I can add. The Marine pictured is an early China Marine, but the ad inself might be as late as the mid-1930's. I have this snippet pictured on one of my web pages that deals with the later Fourth Marines. If interested, here it is:

http://www.wclynx.com/burntofferings/adsusmc_dressblues.html

Jim

Thank you both! Jim looking at that advert the era is right and the props in the studio are right...very similar to another one I picked up last year of a seated marine with similar tree and drop background. Oh I wish you had the original picture! Thanks for sharing the advert.....Dirk