Another new Officers dress cap ega...help again please

warguy

I have been lucky the last couple weeks. This one just arrived. In the spririt of trying to figure it out myself instead of simply relying on others, I will offer what I think it is with the hopes of either confirmation or education.

There are no back markings what so ever on the piece. The continents appear to be molded. No fletching at all. I think it is possibly a Gemsco piece but not sure.

I believe it to be a P1912, WWI vintage. Again, please feel free to weigh in. Coincidentally, there is an original Officers WWI period bell crown currently for sale and I believe this ega matches the one on it. It can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Named-WW1-era-Marine-Corps-Officer-Dress-Hat-Cap-USMC-w-orig-EGA-pin-NICE/192243380621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would appreciate if the mods would move the pics from that listing here-in particular the close up of the ega.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

post-21606-0-15269600-1499974385_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-84510600-1499974392_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-51558300-1499974399_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bryan I can always count on you. Here is a photo close up of the ega on the bell crown officers cap currently listed on ebay. It appears once again to match mine, although the rope is a little different in the way it is wrapped around the cross arm of the anchor. I messaged the seller of the bellcrown and he informed me the ega on the cap is unmarked like mine.

I had some difficulty locating a matching example in Klie or Briuer or on the ega section of the forum for that matter.

Once again looking for an opinion on whether my new bird pictured above is a P1912, WWI period and possibly Gemsco? Is there no interest anymore in ega's on this forum?

post-21606-0-26601500-1500040716.jpg

So I stand corrected on one of these not in the ega reference section. I located it here I believe

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4964-1912-officers-dress-cap-emblem/

Confirms my initial thinking P1912 WWI vintage but interesting to see the gaunt and gemsco characteristics discussed. I wonder who made it?

Disappointed no one has weighed in on this.. I remember the the good old days where a guy would post a new ega and get a half dozen responses in a few hours. Seems like interest in the forum has really dropped off. Probably the subject of a separate post.

I had mine pegged as a M1912 as well. I dont think interest has died down at all, maybe everyone is just busy for the summer trying to find the next bird for their collection!

post-52581-0-63793200-1500090174_thumb.jpg

I sure hope that is the case, Thanks for sharing yours and the affirmation on the P1912 bird. Looks identical, I appreciate the help. I posted another ega two weeks ago with similar questions with basically the same dis-interest. Again, I hope you are right and folks are just busy. Kevin

I sure hope that is the case, Thanks for sharing yours and the affirmation on the P1912 bird. Looks identical, I appreciate the help. I posted another ega two weeks ago with similar questions with basically the same dis-interest. Again, I hope you are right and folks are just busy. Kevin

Kevin,

Apparently you didn't hear. The market dropped out of EGAs two and a half weeks ago. Hardly anyone wants them anymore. Time to get pennies on the dollar for yours while you still can!! :o:huh::D

Steve

Kevin,

Apparently you didn't hear. The market dropped out of EGAs two and a half weeks ago. Hardly anyone wants them anymore. Time to get pennies on the dollar for yours while you still can!! :o:huh::D

Steve

Steve that is funny. I probably need to PM you and offer them up. Or better yet, offer a "free to anyone under 18 post", That might get me some response on this thread. Everyone on the forum will have just turned 17.

Kevin, doesn't your EGA posted resemble B188 on p 87?

Well now that is interesting. I had done most of my research in the books and forum prior to actually receiving this piece in hand. I purchased this last week as a buy it now, and the photos were lousy, very blurry. I could see enough of it to know it was worth much more than the asking price. I went off to the books and forum to try to identify it while waiting for it to arrive. The photos of it and angle made it look different I guess when doing my comparisons. Just a good lesson, to do all that homework after you have the piece in hand and not before.

So if it is a B188, and it appears it is, who is actually the maker of this thing? I now have references suggesting Gemsco, Gaunt, Blackinton and SN Meyer. Looks like it was produced pre WWI but made and worn for many years after the war. Thanks Spearhead for directing me to B188.

normaninvasion

Hi Kevin,

Dragged me out of collecting retirement! This pattern saw a lot of life pre WW1- till early 1930s. It is safe to say this one is solid WW1-1920s. Most of this style are found unmarked, including the service version. I always called in a Gemsco, I'm sure other companies produced it. Hope all is well. Jeff

Hi Jeff, it is great to hear from you. I miss your posts for sure. Thank you for weighing in on this. I always listen when you offer advice on these. Thanks again!