DOES ANYONE RECONIZE THIS WW1? 2ND DIVISION DUI?

6th.MG.BN

I've had this DUI for many years and never really knew if it was ww1 or post war. Also I know the Indian head is 2nd. division but didn't know what unit the six pointed star with purple background was from?

1-1/16" brass with enamaled purple background and indian.

Any help woild be great.

Ken

post-20163-0-49479800-1499961516_thumb.jpg

It is actually a very early DUI for the 6th Infantry Regiment or the 6th Infantry Division. Note the 6 pointed star. It is not for the 2nd ID.

It is actually a very early DUI for the 6th Infantry Regiment or the 6th Infantry Division. Note the 6 pointed star. It is not for the 2nd ID.

That would make sense. I take it they also used the Indian head? What time period would it be pre-WWI or after?

Thanks,

Ken

Where did this ID come from?

Ken, you have an interesting pin there. However, I am not convinced, at this point that it is a DI. I have browsed through some of my reference material and I haven't turned anything up yet.

As far as it being related to the 6th Infantry Regiment or the 6th Infantry Division I must respectfully disagree.

The 6th Infantry has a well know and established coat of arms and their insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.

The 6th Infantry Division was organized sometime around 1917 for WW1. And, as far as I am aware, has always had a RED, six pointed star insignia associated with it. I have not seen any reference to an "Indian Head", on a six pointed star, related to the 6th Infantry Division. Not to mention the color of the star being wrong.

There are just too many flags with the pin pictured for me to commit to an association with either the 6th IR or ID.

Hopefully we will have more input from others.

Brent

Where did this ID come from?

I got it from a dealer I know when I used to set up at the Saratoga, NY gun show. About 12 or 13 years ago.

Ken

Ken, you have an interesting pin there. However, I am not convinced, at this point that it is a DI. I have browsed through some of my reference material and I haven't turned anything up yet.

As far as it being related to the 6th Infantry Regiment or the 6th Infantry Division I must respectfully disagree.

The 6th Infantry has a well know and established coat of arms and their insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.

The 6th Infantry Division was organized sometime around 1917 for WW1. And, as far as I am aware, has always had a RED, six pointed star insignia associated with it. I have not seen any reference to an "Indian Head", on a six pointed star, related to the 6th Infantry Division. Not to mention the color of the star being wrong.

There are just too many flags with the pin pictured for me to commit to an association with either the 6th IR or ID.

Hopefully we will have more input from others.

Brent

Brent, I originally called it a DI as I really hadn't seen anything like it before?

I agree with you, on the limited research I did on the 6th.Inf.Reg and 6th Ifn.Div. having the coat of arms and a red star, respectfully.

Thanks for all info so far,

Ken

• 4 years later...

Ken first time I have seen this post. I have a WWI occupation made Indian head ring and a small enameled Indianhead pin that was sometimes place on the FdG. I also have a brass match box cover with a black oval and enameled Indianhead. I believe all of these items were made in either France or Germany during the occupation period. The enamel work and art on your pin looks similar to my pieces, especially the match box cover. I think the black oval on the matchbox cover suggests that the cottage industry making these paid little attention to the shapes and colors backing the Indianhead. The general feeling I have read is the pin, ring and matchbox cover in my collection and similar examples in others were marketed for Second Division personnel. I am leaning toward the premise that your was likely made not long after WWI as a similar souvenir. By the way. My small pin has a pin and catch assembly that looks like yours. Just my thoughts.  Neat piece you have. Here is the ring and matchbox from an d post. Kevin

77E92E47-6B1B-47B1-AA3D-79A9EA1E8E31.jpeg

Kevin,

I have seen the match safes before and yes they do look similar. Yours both have five pointed stars like the ones on the US flag but my pin has six points? 

I  like those match safes and the ring too.

Ken

Yep, noticed the difference in the Star as well. Just don't know if they were really paying that close attention early on. Dennis Jackson owned (and I later owned it as well) a gas mask carrier with just the Indianhead painted on it, no star and a red diamond. Was named to a Marine in the 6th Marines first battalion. I think things were a little loosy goosey at first. Best

I'm probably way off-base here, but when I first looked at the pin, I thought the star represented the star of David--Jewish symbol.  I know that's not of any real help but just a first impression.

Steve

• 1 month later...