M1945 Suspenders....in khaki?

m1a2u2

I purchased some M1945 suspenders that are very light khaki, almost tan. Were these issued to US troops or do I have a foreign army's copy?

img_0010.jpg

Could they just be really faded? Can you take some close up pics?

Bob

Definitely not faded. Even the padding underneath the strap is tan.

img_0011.jpg

img_0012.jpg

Look reproduction to me.

I don't think so. Found it in the basement of a very old army surplus store in Baltimore in a box covered in dust. No reproductions down there.

RustyCanteen

A period copy made by a foreign army, a middle eastern army? Iranian, maybe Israeli?

Probably this. Israel used a tan M56 style suspender, and it would not be surprising if this was a model used before that. Although I should clarify that one doubt I have is the use of the 'D' tip; most of the web gear from that part of the world shared a manufacturing style that was very British influenced, and had square tips that were riveted on.

RustyCanteen

Look reproduction to me.

Possible, the webbing seems pretty mismatched (on the rear straps) which I tend to doubt would meet the requirements of any military worldwide. The Israeli gear that showed up surplus was very well made, so this observation throws more doubt in my mind that this was made for them.

strap.jpg

The thin strap circled above looks an awful lot like the coarse, thin webbing which shows up on those cheap looking M1 carbine slings.

Probably this. Israel used a tan M56 style suspender, and it would not be surprising if this was a model used before that. Although I should clarify that one doubt I have is the use of the 'D' tip; most of the web gear from that part of the world shared a manufacturing style that was very British influenced, and had square tips that were riveted on.

The Royal Jordanian Army used the US M1 Rifle and Carbine, Khaki HBT fatigues ans US style webbingbelts instead of UK P37

Possible, the webbing seems pretty mismatched (on the rear straps) which I tend to doubt would meet the requirements of any military worldwide. The Israeli gear that showed up surplus was very well made, so this observation throws more doubt in my mind that this was made for them.

attachicon.gif strap.jpg

The thin strap circled above looks an awful lot like the coarse, thin webbing which shows up on those cheap looking M1 carbine slings.

No they look like the same consistency.

Did Israeli use M56 suspenders? I thought they were uniquely Israeli.

I guess it's possible the US made these for export purposes which is how they wound up in the surplus store. That store definitely isn't buying anything from the Middle East.

Marchville1918

I don't see any of the usual contractor ink stamp markings which on m45 suspenders was usually on the front side of each half. They don't appear faded so it appears such a stamp was never there. That and the color makes me say that they were never US army issue and probably not us production. Mideast seems reasonable. Maybe Greek. They used a lot of US small arms. I have seen what we would call m1910 ammo belts that were Greek made sold with CMP M1 rifles.

I don't see any of the usual contractor ink stamp markings which on m45 suspenders was usually on the front side of each half. They don't appear faded so it appears such a stamp was never there. That and the color makes me say that they were never US army issue and probably not us production. Mideast seems reasonable. Maybe Greek. They used a lot of US small arms. I have seen what we would call m1910 ammo belts that were Greek made sold with CMP M1 rifles.

Maybe even Turkish 50s-70s! OD as we see in the photo, but perhaps a Khaki version was made too???

post-34986-0-65953200-1500047130_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-50995700-1500047153.jpg