A nice territorial guard patch

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

While the 101st S-2 and the Chinese Tank BNs patch sold on ebay this closed at under $10 with 65+ people looking at it. The patch lot was listed as "foreign patches" and was listed by a dealer. Proof that buying books is the best investment that you can make. I will be buying the Keller's Ranger book on the next payday.

Can you spot the rare insignia?

post-122868-0-60017300-1499885957_thumb.jpg

It turned out to be a post war variation. Japanese made. Still a good filler.

ocsfollowme

Does anyone know the history of reproductions being made in the 50s-70s showing up at military shows?

lamarhooten

Still need this one myself! Never saw this auction. Would have wet myself at first glance. Its the Kuai Guard patch for the folks wondering.

vintageproductions

There is also a decent VN era Cambodian FANK / Special Forces tab in the group.

ocsfollowme

It is not original. It appears to be a 1960s-1970s (could even be 1980s). Looking at the reverse one would say 50-60s but the base material says 70-80s. Japanese made one. Heavy rice glue on the back. It glows.

My comment about the repros is that I have not really seen many. Could it have been made for reunions? Or has someone been making just a small handful of these? Has anyone else seen repros? I will post scans tonight.

lamarhooten

Never heard of or seen repros of this one! Might have to pick it up at ASMIC this year and get the pain over with. Kauai patch that is.

I just got an email from a very knowledgeable State Guard collector confirming that the patch that ocsfollowme posted above (the one in the lot of patches that started this discussion) is in fact a fake that was sold for many years (as a fully disclosed reproduction) by a dealer based in Hawaii.

To call it a "post war variation" is kinda double-speak, considering the organization only existed during the war.

So this wasn't really the "sleeper lot" gold mine many hoped.

ocsfollowme

A reproduction it is. For $12 I got a filler and 300+ were educated on what the Kauai Volunteers were. I am going to do a Life Magazine B&W photo of the KV for my next colorization project.

I was one of them that was watching this lot but forgot to bid, not that i knew what that particular patch was and would not have gone any higher. The patch in question was also listed prior to this listing as an auction by itself and no bidders, as the seller then bundles up the unsold ones i lots later (as in this case).

So thank you to ocsfollowme for this post and im now educated on the Kauai Volunteers again.

• 8 months later...