Hello! Non-collecting Militaria buff from Los Angeles

Sgt. Stubby

Sgt. Stubby

Comstock, K. reporting for duty. 55 y.o man from Los Angeles, California.

I’ve been reading USMF for some time now, decided to finally join!
I’ve never caught the collecting bug, meaning I don’t have the funding, space, or actual desire to personally own physical items. But, since a child I have been fascinated with militaria, uniforms, vehicles and equipment. I used to be happy with visiting museums and perusing coffee table books - but with this here internet-thing I can happily spend hours online enjoying museum quality collections from top collectors around the world.
I’ve been a civil war buff for many years, but virtually all militaria fascinates me. I like WWII and Vietnam eras very much. I particularly enjoy seeing new interesting items I haven’t seen before, and then researching all things about it. In a way, I’m a collector of knowledge and facts for my personal pleasure. And USMF has been a never failing source of fascination and enjoyment.
I have 8 siblings, and when my father died 30 years ago Mom gave me the Civil War artifacts that belonged to my great grandfather. I guess because growing up I was the only kid FASCINATED by them! He was Corporal John Carter Comstock, enlisted 1861, Troop F, 21st Missouri Veteran Volunteers. I have his promotion to corporal papers, 1 discharge paper to reenlist 1863, 1 final mustering discharge 1866, his pocket bible, and his souvenir portion of the 21st Mo’s battle flag. The mustering papers have his service record in red ink on the back, including taken prisoner at Battle of Shiloh. I’d like to show them here for others to enjoy. No, they are not for sale! :)
For a non-collector, I love picking, and through the years have found cool militaria that I have given away to friends or sold. I love discovering and enjoying an item for a time, then sending it on its way to someone who “has” to have it. Because that’s not me! Just too much stuff I’d “have” to have if I ever really got started…
Here’s a general THANKS TO THE FOLKS WHO RUN THIS SHOW!!! Wonderful wonderful, and now I’m a part!
- Comstock, K.
OH - QUESTION: Can we post larger pics using code in the message text? I vaguely remember forums using a different coding system but it is possible. I guess I'll figure it out!

post-169556-0-71469200-1499836508.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

OK I just saw there was a Photos and imaging section. I go there tomorrow and figure it out.

try

conditionpics3.jpg

Welcome to the forum Comstock, K! The folks here are really fantastic - you couldn't have joined a better group :)

Comstock, K, welcome. What an introduction. Your g great-grandfathers memorabilia are super. My gg-grandfather served with the 18th MO and his brothers with the 4th MO Cav (CS). Mike

Sgt. Stubby

Comstock, K, welcome. What an introduction. Your g great-grandfathers memorabilia are super. My gg-grandfather served with the 18th MO and his brothers with the 4th MO Cav (CS). Mike

Hi Mike -

Your gg-grandfather (18th Mo) and my great-grandfather (21st Mo) served together under Gen’l Prentiss at Pittsburg landing/Shiloh - Grant’s Army of the Tennessee. I wonder if they ever crossed eyeballs before the excitement started? That your gg-great uncles served in the rebel cavalry has a poignancy beyond words.
I’ll post my heirlooms to Civil War once I’m out of the stockades.
God bless brother,
- Comstock