steel presentation model Marines Logistics Vehicle System (LVS)

This is an interesting piece presented to a Marine Corps transportation officer (he was the Marines onsite rep at the Humvee factory when that program started produuctiion).

I assume it's stainless steel: it's heavy. One photo shows the welded backside.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

The Meatcan

that is an impressive display piece! Love the detail of the tire tread pattern. Looks very nicely machined.

Neato!

Terry

RustyCanteen

That is really cool. The wheels almost look like knobs off some kind of instrument. They really put some work into that, and it sure is original!

Yeah, those wheels are cool: the steel in non-magnetic so i assume it's stainless. It's heavy: just over 8 pounds. I too wondered if those wheels were made for another purpose: I'm not a machinist, but it looks like that would be a lot of work just for a presentation piece.

Then again, things were different not too long ago. Based on the huge amount of plaques I've bought from former Navy, I've always suspected that larger Naval installations had someone whose only job was just to make plaques for departing officers and chiefs :)

I spoke with one officer recently who said challenge coins are replacing the plaques and presentation pieces.

RustyCanteen

That's kind of sad that challenge coins are replacing plaques, but I guess they take up far less room. That truck is about 25" long, which really adds to the standout quality of it. Between the weight and the wheels, it must make some noise rolling it around..you have played with it haven't you? It would be hard not to. :)