Hoffman Triangle Parachute

grisly

I recently found this parachute. There is some information on it, but I can't find any pictures or other examples. Here is some info I found on the chute:

"by Pat Works courtesy of T.W. Knacke

The Hoffman Triangle Parachute. Major Hoff­man, after leaving the Army, formed his own company and developed the gliding Hoffman Triangle para­chute. This parachute, vividly described by Gold in reference 7 and shown in Figure 2, is the first parachute that used air exhausted horizontally from the canopy to obtain a horizontal motion opposite to the direction of the escaping air. The Hoffman triangular parachute, as shown in the figure, had two rounded corners and one cut-off corner. The cut-off corner formed an open scoop that produced the air exhaust inducing latéral motion and glide. Hoffman accomplishes two effects; the triangular canopy has a higher vertical drag than a round canopy of the same area (a fact, most likely unknown to Hoffman) and the air exhausting through the scoop produces the glide. The glide ratio given by Gold of 0.2 to 0.3 appears low by today's knowledge. A glide ratio of 0.4 to 0.5 is more likely. The Hoffman Triangle parachute may be called the first practical maneuverable parachute."

Can anyone share any info. on it such as rarity, have you ever seen one before? Possible value? Any help would be appreciated.post-169464-0-18156200-1499783051.jpg

• 2 months later...