What are these - M1 Carbine Hollow Points?

Sgt. BARney

Sgt. BARney

I got these serious looking "hollow points" several years ago at a gunshow in a cigar box full of odd lot stuff. They look like standard carbine rounds, except that the bullet is very different. There are several different headstamps - LC 52, LC 54, LC 5.

Does anyone know what these are? I have not been able to find anything like them in 1947 and 1961 "Small Arms Ammunition" TM's, or in a 1953 M-1 Carbine TM. The bullet is completely hollow, (copper jacket only) for approx. half the depth/length of the bullet, at which point you can see a lead surface. I have tried to show it in the photos but it's hard to get a good photo of it.

With several different headstamps, my first thought was civilian reload, but even then, I have never seen a bullet like these. Also, they just don't "look" like they have been reloaded. Note - I put them on the stripper clip - they were loose rounds when I got them (just the 10 rounds).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

post-160365-0-14684700-1499657323_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-81504300-1499657333_thumb.jpg

Since the military is banned from using hollow points and has been for a long time my guess is they are commercial bullets that someone reloaded. It's tough to tell by the photos but to me the crimp does not look as crisp as it should which could be from running the case through a resizing die. The last photo almost looks like they weren't crimped at all due to the space around the bullet and the case. Like I said, the photos are tough to tell and I am just basing it on my reloading experience. Someplace I have some 30 carbine with similar bullets that were reloaded in the 60's by someone other then me.

Just a wild guess and if I could see them in person I might change my mind.

Sgt. BARney

Thanks for the input oldfire.

Charlie - the primers are brass color, not silver. That is one of the reasons I thought they do not look like reloads. Oldfireguy makes a good point tho on the crimping...

Maybe the original FMJ bullets were pulled and these unusual hollow-points placed on top of the original primer and powder by a civilian reloader????

I was sure hoping somebody would tell me these are ultra-rare DARPA zombie rounds, or maybe guard ammo from Area 51... :D

I was sure hoping somebody would tell me these are ultra-rare DARPA zombie rounds, or maybe guard ammo from Area 51

I never thought about that. Hmmm

No crimp = taper crimp seating die, same used on most semi auto cartridges. Reloads. .30 Carbine in the right hands makes a decent deer harvester.