WWII Army Ser # even with name not found?

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

Usually when I post a WWII serial number and name on a dog tag to this link: http://wwii-enlistment.com/search/

I get some info. But I posted Clarence R. Harris ser# 37109161 and site said no info found.

The tag, which I bought at flea mkt. today also has T43 for his tetinous shot as well as 44 and O for blood type and a C for Catholic. Any idea why NARA site did not recognize? Richard

post-15934-0-36594000-1499642500_thumb.jpg

McDermut99

It's not as common but army enlistment records are incomplete. I have a couple items that when I ran the ASN through both wwii enlistment and NARA-AAD and nothing came up.

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure these records are not complete.

You are correct. Not entirely complete. You have a great original WWII tag. :)

Bellumbill

How about this one, I have what I know is an original WWII tag yet when I put the serial number into NARA a totally different name popped up. I entered it 10 or 15 times just to make sure! Duplicate? Mistake no one caught? Who knows?

For you, probably just records destroyed in '74 fire. Nice tag.

Best,

Bill

It's not as common but army enlistment records are incomplete. I have a couple items that when I ran the ASN through both wwii enlistment and NARA-AAD and nothing came up.

Beyond "not as common", only about 60% of the NARA records are available for the midwest...

It could be a mistake in the SN on the dog tag. When I went to basic training they messed up my dog tags no less than 3 times. I still have them packed away somewhere.

It could be a mistake in the SN on the dog tag. When I went to basic training they messed up my dog tags no less than 3 times. I still have them packed away somewhere.

They got my last name wrong with me :lol: This being at the Ft Jackson Reception Station.

suwanneetrader

Thanks Posted Yesterday, 06:46 AM

USdog sent me copy of this soldier from Iowa. Thanks RLM

PS Tag now listed for sale on forum

The NARA enlistment record database (U.S. Army, 1938-1946) is indeed incomplete. This is especially true for serial numbers issued within the VI and VII Corps areas, i.e., serial numbers with a 6 or 7 as the second digit. The database was created by scanning IBM punch cards on microfilm, and this process resulted in various type of errors. They include serial numbers with garbled names or the wrong name or totally missing records. The technology exists today to re-scan the microfilm with a much higher degree of accuracy, but NARA has shown no interest in undertaking this project. The microfilm is stored today at NPRC in Saint Louis and is available to researchers.

suwanneetrader

Thanks for all the input. I can understand why members like USdog collect them. Alot to learn. This tag has a new home. Richard

They got my last name wrong with me :lol: This being at the Ft Jackson Reception Station.

When my dad entered the Army during WW II, the Army clerk made his middle name his first name, and the initial of his first name was his middle initial.

He figured that when it was time to ETS, he would have the Army correct his record. He was told that this might take 2-3 weeks (he spent 4 years in).

He ETSd under his "Army" name and never corrected the record.

When my dad entered the Army during WW II, the Army clerk made his middle name his first name, and the initial of his first name was his middle initial.

He figured that when it was time to ETS, he would have the Army correct his record. He was told that this might take 2-3 weeks (he spent 4 years in).

He ETSd under his "Army" name and never corrected the record.

They on mine, stamed MAYHEW instead of MATTHEWS :lol: