Greetings and Salutations.....

Retired Army Noncom

Retired Army Noncom

US Cavalry, mostly during it's "Golden Age" is my interest. Have had other collections during my lifetime of other periods in World History. Although I didn't serve in any Cav units during my service time, I was never asked where I wanted to go but I did tell the Assignment Personnel Branch where to go a few times The horse cavalry during the early part of the 20th century has always been an interest. I try to collect those items with names/units to increase the challenge of gathering further historical information.

Cheers............

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a Cavalry nut, particularly the oldest continuously serving regiment in the US Army today, the 2d Cavalry Regiment, established in 1836 as the 2d Regiment of Dragoons. My dad and I both served in this esteemed unit. For many years I was the administrator of the 2d Cavalry Association history and news websites. The 2d Cavalry Association was the first and is the oldest unit specific veterans organization in the US, established in 1899 by our SAW vets.

Dave Gettman

C Troop, 1st Squadron 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment

Bindlach, Germany 1974-75

Henry Gettman

Headquarters and Headquarters Company

1st Battalion 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment

Bindlach, Germany 1953-55

Salvage Sailor

4th Cavalry Regiment in Honolulu 1915

"Prepared and Loyal"

4th Cavalry Mid Pacific Parade 1915.jpg

Retired Army Noncom

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a Cavalry nut, particularly the oldest continuously serving regiment in the US Army today, the 2d Cavalry Regiment, established in 1836 as the 2d Regiment of Dragoons. My dad and I both served in this esteemed unit. For many years I was the administrator of the 2d Cavalry Association history and news websites. The 2d Cavalry Association was the first and is the oldest unit specific veterans organization in the US, established in 1899 by our SAW vets.

Dave Gettman

C Troop, 1st Squadron 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment

Bindlach, Germany 1974-75

Henry Gettman

Headquarters and Headquarters Company

1st Battalion 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment

Bindlach, Germany 1953-55

C Brty & Hdqs Btry 75th FA Hanau 75-82, 8in How, M110 SP

Retired Army Noncom

4th Cavalry Regiment in Honolulu 1915

"Prepared and Loyal"

You might have an answer for me,,,did Hawaii have a NG Cav Regt?

Salvage Sailor

Hawaii - as in the Hawaiian Kingdom, formed The First Hawaiian Guard (Mounted) and the First Hawaiian Cavalry in the 1850's. They were dissolved when the Kingdom was overthrown.

After the annexation, the US Cavalry Regiments assigned to Hawaii circa 1900-1917 were Regulars, primarily from the 1st and 4th Cav.

If you're thinking of the Hawaiian Guardians 299th Cavalry Regiment, they come from Infantry lineage in the islands http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/armor-cav/299cv.htm

Retired Army Noncom

Hawaii - as in the Hawaiian Kingdom, formed The First Hawaiian Guard (Mounted) and the First Hawaiian Cavalry in the 1850's. They were dissolved when the Kingdom was overthrown.

After the annexation, the US Cavalry Regiments assigned to Hawaii circa 1900-1917 were Regulars, primarily from the 1st and 4th Cav.

If you're thinking of the Hawaiian Guardians 299th Cavalry Regiment, they come from Infantry lineage in the islands http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/armor-cav/299cv.htm

Thanks...that is also what I have been able to find out, just wondering if maybe I had missed something that you might know about. I have a M-1906 sabre that has a double strike on the scabbard, thinking maybe it could have been not a double strike but an Hawaii 1st NG Cav Regt. Iowa had a 1st Cav unit that was called up for Border patrol back in 1916 so it has to be Iowa.

Rakkasan187

Welcome to the Forum..

You will find many Cavalry enthusiasts here..

Thank you for your service..

Leigh

• 3 months later...
Retired Army Noncom

Ed, Its great to see another member who has an interest in pre-WWI. I'm enjoying reading through your posts!

Thanks....I'm still learning and trying to find more space...........ever changing things.

Ed