POW Camp Fire Buckets

Ronnie

Here are two galvanized fire buckets that hung inside the barracks buildings at Camp Como MS. Not far from Batesville, MS here in Panola County. These buckets were given to me by a client of mine. He had a relative that worked at the Camp during the war. The buckets were filled with "sand" and each building had several of these hanging in them. They are marked "Fire". Pictures aren't good but I think you can get the idea of what they are. I think a pretty unique piece of WWII POW Camp memorabilia. I have several other items from the Camp. Always looking for more.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-38854400-1499573633.jpg

RustyCanteen

That is nice. Every now and then I see photos of the old wooden barracks with those hanging around. If I run across another, I will post it.

Thanks Rusty. I have seen a photo or two of that myself.

That would be nice to see a photo with these hanging in a barracks building posted here.

Ronnie

I wonder why they were cone shaped, but I'm betting it was to limit their use. They wouldn't walk off and become water buckets.

Cool find.

Very good point nirvana. I have wondered myself why they are shaped like this. This makes logical sense to me.

Ronnie

sgtdorango

Hey Ronnie are you sure those arent Dunce Caps?!...haha just kidding those are pretty cool pow camp items!....mike

I have seen fire buckets with rounded bottoms as well. One had "For Fire Use Only" stenciled on it.

Mike they may be dunce caps.....and I may be a dunce for chasing this stuff.

Cool Robin. Thanks for the info.

Hey Ronnie are you sure those arent Dunce Caps?!...haha just kidding those are pretty cool pow camp items!....mike

Helmets for the Tin Man Army :D;)

RustyCanteen

I have seen fire buckets with rounded bottoms as well. One had "For Fire Use Only" stenciled on it.

Yeah, made like a regular bucket except the bottom was domed outward instead of flat.

I googled "WWII Conical Shaped Fire Buckets" and came up with some good info and pictures.

I found some photos of round bottomed buckets like Robin mentioned as well as the conical shaped buckets. I also found out that nirvana was spot on. The buckets had round bottoms or a conical shape to prevent them from being used for any other purpose. They were used in not only Army Barracks but also in factories and on Railroad trains.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-88060000-1499629863.jpg

post-7752-0-82445900-1499629871.jpg