Another Medal Medal Group goes Back to the Family

Teamski

Well, I've done it again. In my aggressive search for information, I found a home for a medal group. I contacted the son of the recipiant of this group. First, a bit of a backround. I got this group on E-Bay about a year ago. I decided to do a search on Ancestry.com and using cues, I got the son's phone number. He passed on additional information I was looking for. The original recipiant, Willard Striffler, was a Gunner's Mate during the war and was part of the Armed Guard, used on merchant shipping. He was commissioned after the war and retired from the US Navy as a Commander. His son, who I talked to, is a Navy Captain himself, and thought that his dad was buried with the medals. He didn't realize that the medals were actually sold at a rummage sale his mother did before she passed away in 2004. He asked that I keep him in mind when time came to sell the medals, but I knew he wanted them back and I offered......

While it is always painful to "lose" a medal or group, I think it is the right thing to do to keep a medal group with the family, especially one that has a long lineage. This group wasn't a unique group by any chance, so I'm happy to give back..... ;)

-Ski

post-3043-1224955116.jpg