Old Army Surplus Store

Ronnie

In this photo you will see part of the front of an Army Surplus Store. This photo was taken in the early 60's. The store closed in the early 70's. I met a fellow several years ago and while in a conversation the man found out that I was a collector of Militaria. A couple of days later I see the man again and he has a paper grocery sack full of Carbine Pouches. WWII dated over the stock carbine Pouches. He gave them to me. Of course I asked where he got them and he said...."I got a barn full of that sh........stuff." I was kinda in shock but long story short he really did have a barn full. Boxes and boxes and boxes of Surplus. The man died. His nephew now owns the property. He says he will let me go dig out stuff but so far he has been to busy to accommodate me. I don't think he's giving me the run around. We just can't get together. All of the stuff in the barn came from this old Surplus Store pictured here. There honestly is no telling what is in there. I'm just hoping I can get in there before it all rots away.....and it may already have. However the mag pouches were in great shape. At any rate it's amazing but there is still a lot of stuff out there.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-83821900-1499563125.jpg

I keep dreaming about what may be in there. Then again it may be full of boxes of some strap to go on some obscure piece of web gear that is worthless as bossums on a boar hog.

I will let you know if I ever get in there.

Thanks for the comments.

Ronnie

RustyCanteen

This is a random observation (photo is great) but that barber? shop is like a still life; you're looking into a world through those windows. Looks like a barber, one in the chair, and someone waiting. Reminds me of Edward Hopper.

Btw I probably should say that this photo came from a Facebook page of a friend and that the photo was taken by a man named Martin Dain in the early 60's and the photo is the property of the University of Mississippi.

Ronnie

A 1961 Chevrolet Impala is parked in front of the surplus store.

Cool picture, I would almost bet money that my current barber is cutting hair at that barbershop, ha.

Thanks Ron and if I find any SOG knives I'll call you. Lol.

Ronnie

Lol...I will buy a bus ticket and bring a shovel and help you dig!...:D

Btw the old man that I met that gave me the stuff was the son of the man that owned this store.

Btw the old man that I met that gave me the stuff was the son of the man that owned this store.

Even better brother.....be some good first hand stories. :love:;)

the surplus sold in those types of stores would have been shovels, picks, army folding cots, duffle bags, flash lights, blankets, canvas tents / shelter halves, canteens, packs, etc

most of the good stuff has probably already been sold and picked through years ago, but you might get lucky and find a rare item

When I was young collector back in 1979-1980 there was a guy who sold at a gun show my dad and I attended.He also collected german WW2.At one show he had a couple WW2 US tanker helmets.He told me the price and I boughtboth.They were used examples and one had a Tech 4 rank painted on the front.He told me he found "several" in an old building thqat had been an Implement business in a samll rural Nebraska town.Prior to being a Implement business this had been a surplus store.The helmets were found in a storage area above the main building.

As we spoke he said he had to make a couple of trips to get them all as he only had his car.He showed me a photo of his car loaded front to back with helmets and the trunk was full as well.He drove a 4 door Lincolon Continental....He said there were over 400 helmets in the old store.One he kept had two star generals rank painted on the front.