** help needed please to i.d. this knife sheath **

General Apathy

General Apathy

Requesting help please for the possible identification of this scabbard, also what period, and if possible an example of the blade that would have been used with it.

many thanks for any help offered. ;)

lewis.

post-344-0-89768100-1499368241_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

a second photo showing the winged tip with elongated holes for a leg strap.

many thanks for any help offered . . . . .

lewis.

post-344-0-52785000-1499368433.jpg

To me the shape of the scabbard and design looks to lean toward a blade that is fairly flat and spear point or V-shaped.Something like a throwing knife comes to mind.

RustyCanteen

Sharp work identifying the logo, the diving connection gives it an edge.

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

Hi and I would like to say thank you to Sundance, usmce4, Ron, jeremy69 and rusty canteen for taking the time to comment here and for the possible identification. Sad to see it linked to a commercial organisation, it came in a bunch of militaria and I have to say I was hoping for some military connection.

Thanks again everyone. ^_^

lewis.

Keep in mind that Scuba Pro was a very popular private purchase knife back in the day. More than a few found their way to Sough East Asia. The leather sheath is very hard to find these days, part of the reason it was replaced with synthetics. You may not have the knife yet but you do have the harder part to get your hands on.

Ken

Glad to help what little I did.The scabbard logo was familir but hadnt researched it.

As stated it was very common to see commercial knives and the dive knives end up used in the military.I have seen several Dacor and Scuba Pro knives in UDT/SEAL groups.I think some liked the advantage of some of the knives avaiable in stainless steel for military use due to corrosion resistance and also the commercial avaiability of the knives to military men.

General Apathy

Keep in mind that Scuba Pro was a very popular private purchase knife back in the day. More than a few found their way to Sough East Asia. The leather sheath is very hard to find these days, part of the reason it was replaced with synthetics. You may not have the knife yet but you do have the harder part to get your hands on.

Hi Sactroop, thanks for your thoughts, the ' S ' in a circle is poorly done it almost looks like a later added feature.

There was a knife in the sheath but very obviously the wrong one, the strap for the handle has been lowered from the top above the two belt slots, which has left a hole and the new fixture for the strap looks like an aircraft aluminum slotted screw. I will try to add a photo of the knife tomorrow when I can get a shot in daylight, it's totally unmarked..

Lewis.

General Apathy

Ken

Glad to help what little I did.The scabbard logo was familir but hadnt researched it.

As stated it was very common to see commercial knives and the dive knives end up used in the military.I have seen several Dacor and Scuba Pro knives in UDT/SEAL groups.I think some liked the advantage of some of the knives avaiable in stainless steel for military use due to corrosion resistance and also the commercial avaiability of the knives to military men.

Hi Ron, I would have liked it to have an original knife in the sheath it looks such an interesting shape looking at the shape and size of the sheath.

Thanks

lewis.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sheath just like that and have wondered what knife goes with it. There was a knife in mine but not the right one. I have been diving for a long time but have never seen a leather sheath on a dive knife. On the back of mine it says made in Mexico. If you ever find out what knife goes in it I would like to know.

Thanks,

Howard