Just picked up some WWI uniforms. Your input welcome!

blademan

Hi

Just got back from a road trip and picked up the following uniforms: Chemical unit with helmet, Polar Bear, artillery with unknown patch, Marine MG, and marine summer. None of these glow.

Not sure if the Marine MG jacket is put together or not. Anyone ever see a corpsman jacket like this?

How does the Polar Bear patch look?

Thanks and sorry for the bad pictures

post-215-0-20726800-1499267069_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut

I don't know if your corpsman mg uniform is a put together but I remember several threads hear dealing with Navy Medics attached to USMC units in WW I & WW II. Very nice score btw.

Schnicklfritz

Can't say for sure about the medic uniform, but they did have navy corpsman rates on forrest green. The 6th MGB patch looks pretty much righteous though. It would be a very rare score if real.

Not sure your Marine summer tunic is a Marine one though. Unless it is an officer's version. The early enlisted Marine summer tunics lacked lower pockets.

Pete-o MSU

Not all polar bear patches are the same but I am not a fan of this one. It may be a reunion patch.

Here is a uniform I used to own, I would expect the construction to look more like this.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178590-ww1-310th-engineer-polar-bear/

Is there any insignia on the coat or is it named?

Wow! Great info! Thank you!

Im very happy with these uniforms. Even if corpsman is put together, it is very neat. I got it for less than cost of the components.

subsystem4

Can't say for sure about the medic uniform, but they did have navy corpsman rates on forrest green. The 6th MGB patch looks pretty much righteous though. It would be a very rare score if real.

Not sure your Marine summer tunic is a Marine one though. Unless it is an officer's version. The early enlisted Marine summer tunics lacked lower pockets.

The rates in tan and forest green were in short supply. its not too unusual to see a blue rate on a jacket.

Is there a name associated with the pharmacist mate?

-J

I will check the uniform for a name. I haven't done so yet. One of the uniforms had a tag with what could be a name but do not remember which. More to follow.

Thanks

firefighter

Great looking Corpsman uniform. But didn't the Navy wear their crows on the right sleeve durn that time period? Its a right sleeve rate, crow facing right.

Here is a photo of a plate in the man at arms series on WWI Marines depicting (at least an artists depiction) of a WWI Marine Corpsman (center) in tan service tunic (Army) with a blue wool corpsman rate. Certainly not proof positive of what these men wore, but I know some level of research is done by these artists when completing these plates. According to the description, "he is wearing the Navy rate on the right arm in violation of the Navy regulations but in obedience to AEF regulations; most AEF medical corpsman wore rank on left, under the red cross brassard". Of course this depiction is wartime, prior to the introduction of SSI when many Marines were wearing army uniforms prior to the armistice. More importantly perhaps, is a photo of a nice well attributed Corpsman grouping that now resides in my collection. I have a period photo of this man in his Navy jumper, his underwear, socks, a Marine 1907 wool hat, two separate overseas hats with Navy insignia, a well worn wool shirt, his original French medic armband, some original documents and this beautiful tunic with rate. I believe this grouping to be un-messed with. He is well documented in the 2nd divison history on Corpsman who served with the 5th Marines first battalion. One interesting note is the use of the Navy style overseas chevron on this tunic, (as opposed to the army/Marine type). If you find a name in your tunic, I would be happy to research it for you and would certainly help in my mind as to the authenticity of your Corpsman tunic. Does your Corpsman tunic have holes punched through the collar for collar brass? Kevin

post-21606-0-85248300-1499460483.jpg

post-21606-0-63881000-1499460490_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyones input.

Kevin, Thanks again for your input and sharing your grouping. I could find no name in the uniform. Only a quartermaster mark and date (1917) in the sleeve. There are no signs of WWI collar disk stud holes. There may have been clutch back disks on at one time after the war. There are a couple of faint holes on one collar (Right?) but none on other side.

Personally, I think it is a good sign there are no holes. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if there was but I suspect the Navy Corpsman tried to retain a little of their own identity as well.

Personally, I think it is a good sign there are no holes. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if there was but I suspect the Navy Corpsman tried to retain a little of their own identity as well.

Thanks again! I like your logic.

The rates in tan and forest green were in short supply. its not too unusual to see a blue rate on a jacket.

Is there a name associated with the pharmacist mate?

-J

Thanks for your insight. Wish there was a name.