Commercial M4 Plastic Handle Bayonet by AKI for reference

MattS

I read on the late Gary Cunningham's blog, "This one is a bit of a mystery, but is believed to be a purely commercially made bayonet. The only markings are U.S.M4 over AKI on the blade side of the guard, and the M7 grip parts numbers molded inside the grips. The blade is reasonably well made and ground. The pommel is unmarked, the catches are held by roll pins, and the tang is smoothly peened. There is a company named AKI that makes edged tools in Hawaii, but when I contacted them they stated they had no relationship to this bayonet. One person who posted on a forum stated the name was the initials of American Korean Industries, but offered no further information. Any information will be welcomed." http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_4.htm

I searched "AKI" on this forum but did not get any returns. Here are some photos of one I have for reference, the only difference with Gary's description above is that this one an ordnance stamp on the pommel and the tang is peened in a starburst fashion.

post-32676-0-71269000-1499199573_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-84522100-1499199582_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-12207200-1499199600_thumb.jpg

I just went through Bayonet Mans dvd on plastic handle M4 bayonets and the Korean made looks exactly like the one that you have shown. He said that South Korea made M4's on their on in the 70's. I did not fine an AKI reference any where.

A company (Sarco) bought a lot of left over parts and put M4's together and sold the commercially.

Bayonet Mans dvd is a wealth of information.

Hope this helps

Howard

It appears to be a well made, functional, low cost M4 bayonet. Enjoy it for what it is. Not a US collectible, but still has that "cool" factor, is in mint condition, and can be a sideline collectible say, "Foreign Copies of US Bayonets". I have a "KI" M4 I bought years ago, in the wrapper for around $25. SKIP