Black or red plug?

Tiger

Hello!

I have a question: wich is the difference between the black plug (PL-54) and the red one (PL-354) mounted on the ANB-H-1 headphones? They was both used on flight helmet?

Best regards,

I understand that the red plugs denote a high impedance head set while the black ones are for low impedance. Red are for aircraft and black for ground radios.

pararaftanr2

Tiger,

38Driver is correct. To answer your other question, yes, they were both used on flight helmets, but for the USAAF, the headsets with black plugs pre-date those with red plugs. For practical purposes, if not updated, you would typically find an A-9 or B-6 helmet with a black plug, but an AN-H-15 or A-11 fitted with a red plug headset.

Regards, Paul

Hallo!

Curiously the set I've seen had the plug PL-54 and the receivers ANB-H-1 instead the more common R-14.

Thanks to all!

Best,

pararaftanr2

Tiger,

The earphones, or the plug, can easily be removed from the wire loom and replaced by using a small screwdriver. This could have been done by anyone, at anytime, in the past 70+ years.

Regards, Paul

Paul,

you're right. It could have been changed somewhere in the past!

Again.. and the same headset with the black plug marked PL-540? For which purpose is?

Thanks in advance!