PHR Purple Heart returned to family...now on EBay for Sale

tarbridge

aerialbridge

A "home of honor" is not a legal definition and has no real meaning other than in his mind.

Assuming there is one.

I posted a comment on the actual newspaper article about Frank returning the medals. PHR cant remove them. My guess is they will delete their own FB post.

Kurt

dhcoleterracina

I rather thought that my home was a "home of honor". In my man cave I have four framed Purple Heart certificates of four brave young men who gave their lives during WW2. I can name them, I can tell anyone who asks how when and where these men lost their lives. Most importantly I will remember them. There is no family to care for these things because they died (why is that so hard to understand?). There could be descendants somewhere but that's not the same as family. I have adopted them, they are my family now, you will have to pry them from my cold....

And that is what separates us from him. Like many of you I have returned medals to family members, but my actions have been done with no fanfare. To me it is an act of kindness between me and a family member and the only other witness is God. But for him it is a publicity stunt. An opportunity for him to shout out to the world, "Look at ME. Ain't I great! Which way is the camera?" I have no problem if his mission is to return medals, but please do it the way many preservationists do, as an act of kindness between you and the family. And NEVER take credit for the kindness rendered by others. It demeans the sacrifice of the service member and make their sacrifice your publicity blood money. Thus endeth the rant.

Fike is a "legend in his own mind" and total hypocrite.

Cpl. Punishment

I am not a medal collector but am testimony of the good that medal collectors bring.

My uncle Paul F. S.a.y.r.e was a B-24 pilot in the Pacific with the Jolly Rogers 320th BG. My aunt has his air medal and purple heart along with papers. I have his PH certificate. The medals are written down to be passed onto me. Anyways, on this forum, a member posted a named air medal and PH for sale and had some research. Turns out, the medals belonged to a crewmember of my uncle and was killed the same day as my uncle in the same crash. I was alerted of this group by a forum member. I didnt have the money so the member bought the medals, and then waited for me to get funds (thanks to my aunt) and we bought the medals.

Thanks to collectors, my uncle's medals were reunited with his crewmember's medals. The young man who was killed had no family and there were no heirs. Collectors no doubt saved this group and now they will be taken care of. This is my once in a lifetime experience and is hands down the luckiest and most rewarding moment of my collecting history, as well as a moving moment being the decendant of a true hero.

PHR is a scam and they push an agenda which destroys history and desecrates these priceless heirlooms.

Greed and hubris has no limits. I do not collect Purple Hearts but have known Robert for over 30 years and know his character and respect it. His position is correct and we should all contact our " congress critters" and voice our opinions. Have two WWI documents in place of Purple Hearts framed in my shop/ office. Both were bought at flea markets 30 years ago, confirming the fact that some families dont care , and that greed causes such to be sold. My medals from my service in Vietnam will be preserved as my son and both grandsons have been taught the significance of such. Ignorance and greed are our enemies, PHR are both.

Garandomatic

Exactly. I regularly walk around my war room and quiz myself on every single name for everyone I've got hanging.

I rather thought that my home was a "home of honor". In my man cave I have four framed Purple Heart certificates of four brave young men who gave their lives during WW2. I can name them, I can tell anyone who asks how when and where these men lost their lives. Most importantly I will remember them. There is no family to care for these things because they died (why is that so hard to understand?). There could be descendants somewhere but that's not the same as family. I have adopted them, they are my family now, you will have to pry them from my cold....

Wow, I didn't realize I was a "profiteer" - Considering that all told in 30 years of collecting I have actually LOST money in the hobby the term seems a bit suspect as applied to me. BTW, about a year ago I won a KIA PH certificate on ebay and while doing some research on the name found a discussion about me on the PHR facebook page. I wasn't mentioned by name but boy they called me every name in the book. I got a good laugh out of it.

Best,

Bill K.

Wow, I didn't realize I was a "profiteer" - Considering that all told in 30 years of collecting I have actually LOST money in the hobby the term seems a bit suspect as applied to me. BTW, about a year ago I won a KIA PH certificate on ebay and while doing some research on the name found a discussion about me on the PHR facebook page. I wasn't mentioned by name but boy they called me every name in the book. I got a good laugh out of it.

Best,

Bill K.

I understand Bill...I heard they have a poster of me on the their wall.

I lose about $1350 a month...loss of rent...utilities...insurance and taxes to house my collection.You can include the overpayment on many medals and groups to go into my collection...if I sold my collection I would loose money.The other folks do not quite understand it's not always money.

Kurt Barickman

When you pay money for something that shows you care and value about whatever you are purchasing. The vast majority of people will usually take care and treasure what you have purchased. When things are given freely to somebody, the value and care factor goes down and don't get me started about professional museums.

Kurt

One question I would like an answer to from PHR. PHR has taken in a large number of medals from donations across the United States. Yet they still sit in Fike’s home, waiting. If the true purpose of the non-profit is to reunite medals with family members, then why hasn't PHR, posted a public registry of the medals in their possession. Thereby allowing families to know their loved ones medals have been found. Under PHR's current practices the return is at the will and desire of Fike. He alone determines the timing and photo opportunity associated with a PHR event.

I just posted this on PHR...for however long it will stay.

This opportunity to return these particular medals is through the research and kindness of a Medal Collector of over 30 years.Frank Smith did the work and put in the effort to make this happen.PHR has removed all posts by anyone offering Mr.Smith kudos concerning his actions.In fact, PHR has tried to include themselves in this return, which is false. Frank Smith has and will facilitate the return of the medals without spending thousands of donated dollars per instance such as organizations like PHR.Mr.Smith, like many collectors return medals to families on many occasions. We are unfairly categorized as "scam artists " or "evil profiteers ". All this, from National organizations soliciting donations and casting aspersions about folks that are not known to them.All this, from National organizations who will not even offer up a discussion and ignore any contact.Many collectors are members of these very organizations but maybe not for long.

Regards Robert Wilson

One question I would like an answer to from PHR. PHR has taken in a large number of medals from donations across the United States. Yet they still sit in Fikes home, waiting. If the true purpose of the non-profit is to reunite medals with family members, then why hasn't PHR, posted a public registry of the medals in their possession. Thereby allowing families to know their loved ones medals have been found. Under PHR's current practices the return is at the will and desire of Fike. He alone determines the timing and photo opportunity associated with a PHR event.

He definitely determines policy...but remember..he is not longer the registered Chief Officer ...it would probably get in the way of future plans.

I just posted this on PHR...for however long it will stay.

This opportunity to return these particular medals is through the research and kindness of a Medal Collector of over 30 years.Frank Smith did the work and put in the effort to make this happen.PHR has removed all posts by anyone offering Mr.Smith kudos concerning his actions.In fact, PHR has tried to include themselves in this return, which is false. Frank Smith has and will facilitate the return of the medals without spending thousands of donated dollars per instance such as organizations like PHR.Mr.Smith, like many collectors return medals to families on many occasions. We are unfairly categorized as "scam artists " or "evil profiteers ". All this, from National organizations soliciting donations and casting aspersions about folks that are not known to them.All this, from National organizations who will not even offer up a discussion and ignore any contact.Many collectors are members of these very organizations but maybe not for long.

Regards Robert Wilson

They took down the whole story....

One question I would like an answer to from PHR. PHR has taken in a large number of medals from donations across the United States. Yet they still sit in Fike’s home, waiting. If the true purpose of the non-profit is to reunite medals with family members, then why hasn't PHR, posted a public registry of the medals in their possession. Thereby allowing families to know their loved ones medals have been found. Under PHR's current practices the return is at the will and desire of Fike. He alone determines the timing and photo opportunity associated with a PHR event.

Remember, Fike said that PHs should be kept in a "home of honor" and since he apparently is the final (self appointed) authority I'm sure he considers his house to be a "home of honor." However all other collectors of PHs (and other medals) are simply profiteers and not worthy of the title he has bestowed upon the home in which resides his own private collection of PHs.

If Fike were to set up a registry as you suggested (great idea btw, maybe it should be posted to his online pages) for family's to search and facilitate a more speedy return of the medals, that would truly take him a step towards being the good samaritan he wants to be. But I don't think he will, at least not until the "timing and photo opportunity" are there. This man is all about good publicity. As seen with the recent removal of posts from his Facebook page, anything that does not paint him or his organization in a good light must be eradicated. So we must continue to use the color paint we've been using (I believe it's the color "truth") and see to it that his personal agenda does not become a national law.

Kevin

Why not make a Facebook page dedicated to the shenenigans of PHR? A place where these stories are told and he can't touch them. It might even show up on Google when good willing people are looking for PHR and it might stop a few from falling in the trap?

Why not make a Facebook page dedicated to the shenenigans of PHR? A place where these stories are told and he can't touch them. It might even show up on Google when good willing people are looking for PHR and it might stop a few from falling in the trap?

Very good idea, it would almost act as a counter group to show the negative affects of PHR and the scam they are running trying to take credit for other peoples kindness! How many of their other returns have been ones they just took credit for ?

uniformcollector

Not sure if this was posted yet, but I was sent this old video by a friend:

Although this has been said before, it really seems like a decent portion of the bill's supporters are well intentioned, but ill-informed. This news piece doesn't even acknowledge another side. Who wouldn't want to prevent hero's legacies being sold if they don't see the full picture?

aerialbridge

Are you guys serious? You mean to say that Zachariah Fike's "Purple Hearts Reunited" "charity" does not maintain a full, complete and up to date on-line, searchable database of all the named, Purple Heart's that they have "found", so that heart-broken (or "heart-lost" ... "heart- less" doesn't sound right) families can search for them, and see if Fike and his outfit are sitting on them?

If you're trying to "reunite" something to someone and you have an actively promoted website, isn't that the first thing you'd do?

Has Fike's PHR disclosed exactly how many NAMED PH's they are holding?

WarrantMafia

According to IRS filing (for his non profit) he has 80-90k worth in inventory. I'm assuming medals, that was handed to him. Interesting to read the annual disclosure. Also they claim to be spending money on engraving - medals?

It has always been interesting to me that an angle of this proposed legislation pushed by PHR pretty much guarantees them the ability to build their business. One of arguments they have propounded in the past has been that collectors spend a lot of money on PHs. Therefore they need donations to buy them, in order to facilitate their return. (I think there was even one accusation that collectors knowingly did this on purpose to thwart their efforts) This proposed law will take the purchase/acquisition cost out of the equation. With them taking literally every opportunity to get in the public eye, if this law passes, all they would have to do make it publicly known it is illegal to sell PHs. I have no doubt that they will then offer a "service" where you can donate them to their offices (a "home of honor" remember?) for research and return. Then they can proceed to dump a far larger percentage of their funds into the extravagant, showy, self-promoting, returns that they needlessly do.

For the record, I've never had a problem with PHR and their desire to return medals to family members. I think it is a great thing. However as a Vet, who is also a medal collector, this law and their attitude towards others who don't see things the way they do absolutely sickens me.

PHR will not answer questions...they do not provide any service not controlled by them.The financial records I have located are totals without any breakdowns of how the money was spent, such as categorized as $88,000 spent on 35 to 50 returns? Nothing broke down as to cost of travel...car rental...meals etc., payments made to PHR officials...$29,000.

He has never provided a exact total of his basement horde of medals or the identification of those medals.That is the narcissistic part of him to maintain all control of the organization he began. It is hypocritical he values his inventory when that is his goal to make Purple Hearts valueless.

We truly need an investigative journalist or reporter to look into the actions of PHR...especially the money trail.