Knife and bayonet display I am working on...

MattS

Right now I am building a display in my room using galvanized steel pegboard (Amazon - 2 panels @ 16"x32" $24.97 w/free shipping). I am using various types of pegboard hooks and flat brackets that I got in a variety pack (Walmart - $4.97) to see what works best. The LMF II/ASEK with its legstraps sits best on flat brackets while some of the older M4 and M5s have a 1" J-hook for the handle and a 1/2" J-hook for the scabbard. My idea is to display a M1905, M1, M3, M4 leather, M4 plastic, M5, M5A1, M6, M7, M9, and ASEK. This is a work in progress, but here's where I am. Let me know what you think!

post-32676-0-38327200-1498848955.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Please permit me to offer a suggestion that I have used in the past. Cover the peg board with a fabric of your choice. Separating the blade from the scabbard, and using nylon fishing line,, tie off first the bayonet by passing the line from the back through the desired hole, and again through the hole above/below, and tie it off. Do one tie where the blade meets the crossguard, and the othe near the tip of the blade. Then do the same thing with the scabbard aligned to the blade. The line is strong enough to hold, and will be virtually invisible to the eye. This techniques eliminates the metal hooks and the holes.

huntssurplus

Nice looking display. Seems like something that I would like to replicate in the future. Thanks for sharing!

-Hunt

Sgt. BARney

Matt,

Neat idea! I have always liked displays that allow you to pick-up each piece and check it out. Hard to do in a "vertical" format but this is a great way to do that. 2 thumbs up!

All you need is a couple USMC KaBars in there to class things up, and I think you"ll be there!!!! :lol:

You've got a good start there. Keep it up. Is that M9 a tan Lan Cay?

Marv

Phrobis M9 I picked up after Desert Storm at the US Cavalry store outside Fort Bragg. I did a thread on it here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105595-my-desert-tan-m9-bayonet/?hl=bayonet

Sgt. BARney, that was my intention, to be able to pick them up. I do need a good KaBar or two!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Another trip to the local Walmart last night yielded these 2" brackets with red tip covers ($1.76 for 4) that allow the bayonets to lay flat without the worry of the J-hook scratching the handle or scabbard.

M5 with J-hooks

M7 BOC on flat brackets

2 of the brackets

post-32676-0-71224600-1498916319_thumb.jpg

a long time ago home depot/lowes used to carry small air or water tubing that slipped neatly over peg board pegs. You could buy a roll and cut it to length, etc.

I bought 2 feet of 1/4" clear tubing at the hardware store ($1.05) and put it over the hooks. Good advice! Thus far I have about $36 in this display.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this a few months later after adding a couple of M6s, M7s, and a few other assorted knives. It's looking crowded now, wish I had room for another panel!

post-32676-0-24630600-1507997777.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is what I put together. I salvaged a couple 36"x 60" double locking door bulletin boards from a company I had worked for. I needed more depth than just one could provide so I took the cork backing off one and stacked it on top of another that I took the doors off of and fastened them together. I covered the cork backing with a burlap that I acquired at a local fabric shop. After mounting to the wall I drilled holes in the cork backing to accept 1/8" round metal rod stock cut to the length needed to support each individual knife. These rods were then covered with clear flexible plastic tubing cut to the appropriate length. Finished by installing a LED light ribbon around the interior top and sides.

post-6195-0-86692800-1514304254.jpg

Wow, very nice. Museum quality display.

Here is what I put together. I salvaged a couple 36"x 60" double locking door bulletin boards from a company I had worked for. I needed more depth than just one could provide so I took the cork backing off one and stacked it on top of another that I took the doors off of and fastened them together. I covered the cork backing with a burlap that I acquired at a local fabric shop. After mounting to the wall I drilled holes in the cork backing to accept 1/8" round metal rod stock cut to the length needed to support each individual knife. These rods were then covered with clear flexible plastic tubing cut to the appropriate length. Finished by installing a LED light ribbon around the interior top and sides.