A theatre made 503rd Airborne patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,
I posted this patch that is currently on eBay in the "Real or What" category yesterday.Over 200 views and the crickets are chirping. :lol: So I thought I'd put it over here and hopefully get more eyeballs on it.

This piece looks different than other 503rd patches I've seen.It's obviously theatre made but where,and when?

The sellers pics are dark so I took the pics into Photoshop and lightened them up a bit.

post-13386-0-15808200-1498756544.jpg

post-13386-0-11177400-1498756554.jpg

Patchcollector

The Kellers would say Philippine made on pade 119, 120 of Emblems of Honor.

Thanks for the help OCS,as usual,you're correct.

I just did a Google search and found this great site that has many versions of the patch,including one like the OP one here.

Here is a link to that site:

http://corregidor.org/503_patches/rock_patch_glry.htm

Patchcollector

Here is an image of a similar patch for comparison from the site I linked to above.

post-13386-0-90806200-1498758397.jpg

My reference identifies these ovals (red center black border) as belonging to one of three different different airborne units that served in Europe and have no association with the 503rd PIR which operated in the Pacific. They were the 82nd Airborne Division Recon Platoon, 513th PIR and 80th Airborne Anti-Aircraft Battalion.

Patchcollector

Auctions are over.$1,362.00 for the ovals,and 490 for the Airborne patch!

Patchcollector

I think that someone got a pretty nice deal on the Airborne piece.I expected that to go for more.

Patchcollector

Were the P.I pieces made during the War?If so,would'nt they be worth more than postwar made examples?

ocsfollowme

Were the P.I pieces made during the War?If so,would'nt they be worth more than postwar made examples?

According to http://www.ww2-airborne.us/18corps/503_overview.html

The Regiment was inactivated on 24 December 1945 at Camp Anza, California.

So I would believe that these were made in the Philippines during WW2 or right after Japan surrendered on Sept 2, 1945.

In terms of worth...Japanese silk embroidered are always pretty.

Patchcollector

Thanks for that info.You're right about the Japanese made versions being "prettier",but I think that the Philippine made versions are beautiful in their own sort of way.I really like how that Eagle looks in the OP example.

I would much rather have a theatre made Airborne patch that was made during the War than a Postwar made one.Just my preference.

(Of course,to have both a wartime Philippine made and a postwar Japanese made version would be the ultimate :) Unfortunately,I have neither :( )

mortaydc60

The PI made version could have still been made after the war since they were still on the island until late Nov,1945

• 2 years later...