Ww1 liner question

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

I bought this m1917 helmet at an antique store the other day and I was going to cover the felt/asbestos part with a paint on laquer, but considering that the liner and chinstraps are in such ratty condition would I be better off buying a replacement liner? I wouldn't be wearing it, but I do plan to use it on a mannequin display. The display would be in my bedroom, so I dont want any amount of asbestos in that small of an enclosed space. Also would I be able to reuse the original nut for the new liner?

Thanks

post-146822-14986720460894.jpg

post-146822-14986720568587.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

post-146822-14986720084206.jpg

thecandyman0838

Leave it.

Should I still put laquer on it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My opinion. Its not an identified or painted helmet. The liner has shrunk. This one too me would be a good canidate for restoration or a re enactment helmet. Its your call....I'd re use any hardware possible.

Should I still put laquer on it?

If it makes you feel better, go for it.

Add a replacement liner, and the whole thing will be worth less than you paid for the liner.

I doubt that amount of asbestos will harm anything, even in a closed room. I have a few ww1 helmets in my room and I am not concerned at all about it. I would leave it alone, but it's up to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Mikekennedy38

My opinion. Its not an identified or painted helmet. The liner has shrunk. This one too me would be a good canidate for restoration or a re enactment helmet. Its your call....I'd re use any hardware possible.

I agree with this! If it had any type of name or unit insignia I would leave it but given the circumstances it is a good helmet for restoration....especially if it's going on a display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk