Recreating Grandads's WWII uniform 129th Inf, Lots of Questions

kmrober2

Hi guys,

I want to create a display or a "put together" uniform for my Grandfather's World War II service. I have lots of questions. I'm sure I will have many answered simply by browsing the forum. I figured I would start by letting anyone interested know what I know about his service.

My granddad, Douglas Monroe Roberson, served in the Co I of the 129th Infantry during the Luzon Campaign in World War II. The 129th Infantry was an Illinois National Guard unit that was Inducted into Federal service in 1941. The 129th was part of the 37th “Buckeye” division during granddad's service.

​Grandad was inducted at Fort Bragg on July 28 1944. He then spent 5 months as a special training inductee followed by 3.75 months of Infantry Basic Training. He then spent 7 months as a PFC Rifleman. He finished out his time overseas with 3 months as a Tec 5 Utility Repairman with the 4151st Quartermaster Depot Company, Luzon, Philippine Islands. Followed by 6 months as a Tec 5 Military Policeman. He departed the US on May 3rd 1945 and arrived in the Asiatic Pacific Theatre on the 27th of May of the same year. Just in time to take part in the fighting in the Cagayan Valley in Luzon. He departed the Asiatic Theatre on July 17th 1946, and arrived back in the states on August 11th. He left the service on August 21st 1946 at the separation center at Fort Bragg.

During his service, he was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, and the marksmanship badge with rifle qualification bar. He was also awarded the Good Conduct Medal, The World War II Victory Medal, The Asiatic Pacific Service Medal with 1 bronze service star, and the Philippine Service Medal with 1 bronze service star. He was also issued an Honorable Service Lapel button.

I believe, due to the fact he served overseas for over a year, he should also have earned 2 service stripes. (one for each 6 months of overseas service) He reached the rank of Tech 5, so should have been given the appropriate chevrons, and should have had a “Buckeye” Patch since he was in the 37 Division.

​Here are just a few of my many questions:

​Section 31 of his DD214 reads "COM INF'; MM 30 CAL RIFFLE M1". Am I correct that this is showing his Combat Infantry Badge, and that the MM is for Marksman correct?

​His dd214 also lists a "Philippine Service Medal". Am I correct in assuming that this is the same as the Philippine Liberation Medal?

According to The 129th Infantry In World War II by the Regimental Staff, 1947, Pages 225-226. General Orders No. 264 August 18 1945, the 129th Infantry Regiment was given a unit citation shortly after his arrival, for an action that took place shortly before his arrival. Though he was not part of this action, I believe he would have been awarded, and worn, this citation “temporarily” while he was with the 129th, because it was a unit citation. Is this correct? I will attach the page from the book. I'm not sure if it is a presidential unit citation or not.

​When he served in the quartermaster depot or as a MP was he still in the 37th division" If not would he have taken the "buckeye" patches off? Would he have got MP buttons to replace his Infantry buttons? Maybe I need to do a couple uniforms, one for when he was a rifleman, and one for when he was an MP? Lots of questions but I think this has been a good start.

I would love any feedback, thoughts, or opinions from you guys. I'm trying my best to fumble through this, and learning as I go.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-169278-0-98069400-1498616491_thumb.jpg

post-169278-0-07403500-1498616532.jpg

You want his final uniform at time of discharge yes? say this as he would not have a dress uniform when he was out in the Pacific, a best a khaki uniform, if this was worn at all, if he was up in Japan on occupation duty, then yes, OD Dress.

But lets see if we can start to answer your questions.

Section 31 of his DD214 reads "COM INF'; MM 30 CAL RIFFLE M1". Am I correct that this is showing his Combat Infantry Badge, and that the MM is for Marksman correct?

Yes, believe this is for the Combat Infantryman Badge, yes Marksman Badge with Rifle Q-Bar.

​His dd214 also lists a "Philippine Service Medal". Am I correct in assuming that this is the same as the Philippine Liberation Medal?

Yes, remembering that a lot of personnel clerks filling these things out in 45-46 didn't have the correct termology down pat yet (See COM INF)

Now what unit is on his discharge? the MP unit, was he up in Japan?

Not seeing a Distinguished Unit Citation, soon to called Presidential Unit Citation, for the 129th Infantry during the period of WWII, unit was awarded a Philippine Presidential Unit Citation however.

Make sure you look at all the info before you start, when I did this for my grandfather there were little bits and pieces I didn't have but made significant difference in the end. I wish you luck!

Seems select units within the 129th Infantry received the DUC, Company F, and later the Regimental Headquarters and the 2nd Battalion, your grandfather was in neither, Company I being in the 3rd Battalion, given the dates of them, they were probably awarded for action in the Solomons in the summer of 1943. Would still like to see that page from the yearbook stating General Orders No. 264 August 18 1945.

Sorry about the small format, just zoom in on using your computer's zoom feature, DUC citaions will be in the second column from the unit title.

post-34986-0-27136800-1498620684.jpg

You want his final uniform at time of discharge yes? say this as he would not have a dress uniform when he was out in the Pacific, a best a khaki uniform, if this was worn at all, if he was up in Japan on occupation duty, then yes, OD Dress.

But lets see if we can start to answer your questions.

Section 31 of his DD214 reads "COM INF'; MM 30 CAL RIFFLE M1". Am I correct that this is showing his Combat Infantry Badge, and that the MM is for Marksman correct?

Yes, believe this is for the Combat Infantryman Badge, yes Marksman Badge with Rifle Q-Bar.

Yes, remembering that a lot of personnel clerks filling these things out in 45-46 didn't have the correct termology down pat yet (See COM INF)

Now what unit is on his discharge? the MP unit, was he up in Japan?

Not seeing a Distinguished Unit Citation, soon to called Presidential Unit Citation, for the 129th Infantry during the period of WWII, unit was awarded a Philippine Presidential Unit Citation however.

Yes, I want the final uniform at time of discharge. His discharge has 129th Infantry Company I. He was not in Japan, he was in Luzon. Under "Military Occupational assignments" It lists:

Months / Grade / MOS

5 / Pvt / Special training inductee

3 3/4 /Pvt / Infantry Basic Training

7 / Pfc / Rifleman

3 / Tec 5 / Utility Repairman

6 / Tec 5 / Military Policeman

I cant attach the "citation" because the file is too big. But it reads:

18 August 1945

GENERAL ORDERS

No. 264

The 129th Infantry is cited for outstanding performance of duty n action against the enemy Luzon, Philippine Islands from 28 January through 2 February 1945. The officers and men of the 129th Infantry Regiment collectively displayed extraordinary heroism, aggressiveness and tenacious devotion to duty in the grueling military operation which rested from a grimly determined enemy the runway and barracks area of Clark Field and culminated in the capture of commanding terrain west of field-known as Top of the world-thereby securing for our airforce the use of this airfield- strategically vital to air operations in the Philippines-China Sea area. Attacking initially across flat open terrain, devoid of cover and under the direct observation of the enemy occupying the high ground west of Clark Field, the 129th Infantry Regiment, in the face of accurate hostile fire advance inexorably, frustrating numerous enemy infantry and one tank led counterattacks. After two days of grim combat the 129th Infantry drove the enemy from the open runway area and seized the interior post of Fort Stotsenerg.

The regiment then began the reduction of the Top of the world-an exceptionally advantageous defensive position bitterly defended by the Japanese, well-emplaced in caves and dugouts whose approaches were covered by automatic weapons and mortar fire. In a courageous and skillfully executed infantry assault action, the 129th Infantry, broke the enemy's fanatical will to resist and by dusk on 31 January stormed victoriously over the crest of the top of the world- whose capture insured e use of Clark Field's magnificent facilities to our air force.

Throughout the critical operation, The 129th Infantry's brilliant performance was an inspiring example of combat efficient and willingness to close with the enemy. the 129th Infantry Regiment met and decisively defeated a numerically superior enemy and the outstanding success of this operation is a tribute to the superior fighting spirit and combat acumen of every man in the organization.

Robt S.Beightler

Major General, USA

Commanding

It is listed in a section of Unit Citations, Awards, and Commendations. I guess this is a unit "citation", and not a "presidential unit citation"? When I read this it made me think of the scene from Band of Brothers, when they are in the bar and one of the guys gives a replacement a hard time for wearing a unit citation for an action that he wasn't part of. I looked up the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation and it looks like that was created in 1946 after Granddad was out.

Thanks for all your help so far! Here are a few more pictures.

Kevin

post-169278-0-93498500-1498625482.jpg

post-169278-0-65929200-1498625505.jpg

post-169278-0-54943000-1498625513_thumb.jpg

post-169278-0-76653200-1498625522.jpg

The GO I'm thinking may be a divisional commendation, as according to the Pamphlet 672-1 Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Register World War II Korean Conflict of July 1961, states only F Company and then HQ Company and 2nd Battalion 129th Infantry Regiment were awarded a DUC, secondly we're seeing that this is a plain General Order, believe that orders accompanying and or for WWII Distinguished Unit Citations will be War Department General Orders abbreviated as WD GO.

Now on to units, the 37th Infantry Division was one of the very few divisions of our Pacific Army that did not go up to Japan for Occupation Duty, it remained in the PI, this you noted, however the division itself as well as the 129th infantry left the PI around early December 1945, arriving Los Angeles Port of Embarkation 18 December 1945, closing on Camp Anza California that very same date where it was inactivated, the 129th Infantry actually left a few days earlier, Los Angeles 12 December, Anza 13 December, The divisional flag and colors of those units of the Ohio National Guard returning to state control, with the division being reactivated under state control sometime in late 1946 into 1947, the 129th Infantry returned to Illinois state control.

So your Grandfather was no longer in the 37th Div by the time he left the PI in July 1946, the division was gone around 7 months by that time. He being such a low point man remained, and was reassigned to those units, the one you mentioned, the 4151st QM Co, and a unknown MP unit, this was common enough in all three theaters post V-E Day/V-J Day, though your Grandfather could of very well find himself sent as a replacement to an infantry division that was up in Japan on occupation duty, there were several still there, even say the 6th, 7th or 40th Divisions on occupation duty in the former Japanese possession of Korea.

As far as his discharge listing him in August 1946 as still in the 37th Infantry Division??? Probably a clerical error? Should of listed him in that MP unit what ever it was.

As far as shoulder patches then? What do you think guys, the Western Pacific, with a 37th Infantry Division combat patch?

I see the difference now. The Presidential citations you mentioned above involving F company and the HQ are listed differently then the one I mentioned in the unit hisory. The two Presidential Citations include "BATTLE HONORS", and mention executive orders. The unit citation I mentioned does not include this. You were right about F and HQ getting theirs in the Solomon Islands as well. They both got their Presidential Unit Citations for actions on Bougainville during March of 1944.

I didn't realize that he was no longer part of the 37th ID when he was in the Quarter Masters and MP. I just assumed they were separate units in the same division still. Thanks for the clarification. I will start trying to figure out what MP unit he was in. I was always told he was in the Philippines, no mention has ever been made of him being in Japan, or Korea. When going through his pictures, I did find a card, almost like a business card, with a Japanese name and address on the front, and another on the back. So who knows, I guess it is possible. On the other hand, he did not get an Army of Occupation Medal, so that seems to back up the family history that he was only in the Philippines. I have sent off a request for more military records, maybe they will show the MP unit that the dd214 failed to mention.

If you look at the pictures I posted above, find the picture where the three men are kneeling. My grandfather is the one in the middle. I think I can make out patches on both arms. The one on his right arm seems to be easier to make out. When you zoom in on it, it looks light on the outside with some dark on the inside. Perhaps someone who knows what they are looking at can tell, but I can not. Would the one on his left sleeve be the "buckeye" patch?

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes I see that now, Khakis, post VJ Day no doubt, and definitely still in the PI. That patch is the 37th Division as a combat patch, the other one, interestingly may be the Philippine Department (Will others weigh in).

post-169278-0-54943000-1498625513.jpg

post-34986-0-80506100-1498699812.jpg

Found a couple more pictures, one of them gives a good look at one of his patches. Anybody have any opinons on what patch it is? He is on the bottom right.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-169278-0-85769800-1499052473.jpg

post-169278-0-82865900-1499052485_thumb.jpg

That patch is the Western Pacific Forces patch, one that we first thought would be the patch he'd be wearing at this date, the one where the 37th Div is worn as a combat patch, kinda looks like the Philippine Department, but probably is not and is the Western Pacific one, the angle looking like it might of been the PI Dept.

post-169278-0-82865900-1499052485.jpg

post-34986-0-76888100-1499056898.jpg

doinworkinvans

Yep that's it! Looks like you're well on your way to getting this uniform right!

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I can get the "buckeye" patch with a white or green border. I assume the white border would be for the khaki uniform. Also, what are sellers reffing to when they mention UV testing and say that the Patch doesn't glow?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I can get the "buckeye" patch with a white or green border. I assume the white border would be for the khaki uniform. Also, what are sellers reffing to when they mention UV testing and say that the Patch doesn't glow?

Thanks,

Kevin

Both OD Border and plain broad White border 37th Division patches were worn on any uniform item.

UV testing and say that the Patch doesn't glow means patch is not made of polyester or nylon threads, this being a signature that said patch is modern made, a copy/repro. It's one method that helps, though not foll proof (See topic below) However This really becomes the test for real rare patches, not common ones from the 40s/50s like the 37th Division, which original ones are available in abundance anywhere you choose to look for them, ebay, online militaria stores, walk in militaria stores, flea markets etc etc.

For more on this method.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/205238-black-light-test/