Who can tell me about this paratrooper...

MattS

He was a local vet, born October 29th, 1925 and entered service on December 7th, 1943 (ASN 30900410). He served in the reserves until 1967 and retired as a lieutenant colonel. This photo was taken from the Portland (IN) High School archives, class of 1945. He served in Europe, was wounded, and wears a CIB and jump wings. What unit was he with and where did he earn the combat star on his wings? Thanks!

post-32676-0-20343900-1498613778.jpg

Well the DIs are 501st regimental crests, so he was part of the 101st Abn. Could have gotten the combat star for either Normandy or Holland. Hope this helps a bit.Paul

Almost unbelievably, I just got off the phone with Dale! He joined up during high school in December of 1943 and went to basic training in Florida. He was assigned to the 101st Airborne which left to go overseas before he completed his jump school, so he did his paratrooper training in England. He was in training on June 6th, 1944, and was assigned to a replacement pool. He jumped into Holland during Market Garden (combat star) with the 501st PIR. He ended up in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge where he was wounded. He was back in France waiting to get flown to Japan when the war ended. He returned home, graduated in 1945, got married, went back in the service and was a SFC in 1952 when he got a commission. He served until July of 1970 in the Signal Corps and retired as a LTC.

Thanks! I think the Dale Noble from Elwood was a different guy. The 501st paratrooper looks like a match.

I believe you are correct as I found information that identifies Dale Earl Noble parents as Earl L. Noble and the former Fern Scott (newspaper article identifies parents as Mr. & Mrs. R J. Noble). This information also stated that Dale Noble married the former Hazel Beatrice Pyle at Jay, Indiana, on June 18, 1946. I have attached a link I found on the Internet concerning a collector who purchased an air crew holster on eBay and through his own research identified it having belonged to a 501st PIR soldier by the name of Dale Noble:

http://www.chateaurouxairstation.com/Squadrons/A%20Noble%20Saga.htm

I am going to call him back with some more questions I thought of. If anyone has a question for a 101st paratrooper that jumped in Market Garden, let me know. The opportunity to ask these guys questions is fading quickly.

Yes it does, maybe mini jump wings? The original photo is only about 1x2 inches and it's behind glass so there's not much detail to work with.

I spoke with him again. He was a demolitions expert and carried a Thompson along with 40 pounds of plastic explosive on each leg and the blasting caps on his ankles around his boots. His C-47 group came under attack by German fighters and he jumped at about 300 feet. He said there was just enough time for the chute to open and he was on the ground near Vechel. He was part of a group of 4 guys assigned to secure a bridge a few miles away and check it for demolition charges.

firefighter

Yes it does, maybe mini jump wings? The original photo is only about 1x2 inches and it's behind glass so there's not much detail to work with.

I think youre right.Looks like the 101st with para wings

I spoke with him again. He was a demolitions expert and carried a Thompson along with 40 pounds of plastic explosive on each leg and the blasting caps on his ankles around his boots. His C-47 group came under attack by German fighters and he jumped at about 300 feet. He said there was just enough time for the chute to open and he was on the ground near Vechel. He was part of a group of 4 guys assigned to secure a bridge a few miles away and check it for demolition charges.

Fantastic follow-up! Are you going out to interview him?

He's too far away for me to get to, although he plans to come back for a visit. For now, I'll just have to keep thinking of things to ask him over the phone!