Pearl Harbor Survivor - Pharmacist's Mate - Hospital Corpsman - USS Solace

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

This group came out of a recent estate sale in Northern California. The man served on the USS Solace next to or adjacent to the Arizona. He was on the Solace when the attack started. When the Arizona went down, he was aboard one of two motorboats dispatched from the Solace and pulled sailors out of the water. The armband was the one he wore on the motorboat. One of the bibles pictured was in his pocket at Pearl Harbor, during the attack, the other was on the ship and is denoted inside. I am not sure what uniform he was wearing on that day though as I have several (not pictured). All of the uniforms have his name.

Post war he only started participating in the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association after retirement. He served as several chapter presidents and as a chaplain as well. Not pictured are several more uniforms to include whites and blues. Association memorabilia, some photos and books.

Best,
ABN

post-1800-0-33614700-1498610194_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
ParanormalTrooper

Missed this one the first time around. What a great find.

-J

As did I!

Very nice grouping.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent grouping! This is right up my alley. The Solace wasn't right next to the Arizone (that would be the USS Vestal) but it was pretty close, and was a center of rescue efforts as wounded and burned men were taken aboard to be treated.