BOMBARDIER WING Engraved Adrian Ooms Victorville Air Field

BND173D

PICKED THIS UP LAST WEEK END. IT IS A FULL SIZE BOMBARDIER WING FROM VICTORVILLE ARMY AIR FIELD. WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE ORIGINAL OWNER. NAMED TO ADRIAN OOMS FROM CLASS 44-3 DISTINGUISHED STUDENT. NOT SAYING I AM A WING COLLECTOR BUT HAVE HAD A LOT OVER THE LAST 40 SOME YEARS AND THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I HAVE HAD LIKE THIS. ARE THERE MANY OF THESE OUT THERE. THANKS FOR ANY INFO. ED

post-19375-0-13549800-1498516648_thumb.jpg

5thwingmarty

Don't know anything about him specifically, but a scanned copy of the book for this class is available on the aafcollection.info website.

I collect engraved wings and have to say that a wing like yours does not come up too often. The engraving is great and documents Mr. Ooms cadet training well...Great pickup !!!

That could be a bit difficult......First..the Army Serial Number listed for him is the # he was assigned when he enlisted, when he received his wings and was promoted to Lieutenant he wold have been assigned an new ASN that started with an O. Unfortunately there is no easy way to find out that number...You could try contacting the National Archives, https://www.archives.gov/veterans , and try to get his records with the original number. Be aware that a lot of records were destroyed in a fire in the 1970's but I've never had a problem getting ones I've asked for. If you do get records there is no guarantee that his overseas info will be there, but it can't hurt to try..I'll keep looking around but so far I haven't had much luck.....

There are places on the web where you can find a Missing Aircrew (or is it aircraft?) report. Those MACR can be really complete and fascinating.

You can also do a Social Security Index search to see if he was alive after the war. They also have lots of data on POWs on line.

Ancestry.com can also be a great resource.

Victorville AAF turned into George AFB which taught F-4 pilots & Navigators in 1960-70s....I served there 1972-74

The wings themselves are relatively common, though all WW 2 vintage wings have value. What makes yours a cut above the usual is the engraving.

The list on which his name is found combines men who were involved in both accidents and incidents. It does not seem to indication whether he wound up in an aircraft that was listed as being involved in a war based incident such as getting shot down, or if it was only an ordinary accident where a pilot simply ran his aircraft off the runway and created some damage and injuries. Since he was around after the war, that might suggest that a simple accident might have been more likely though it would be worth further investigating to find out.

Wharfmaster

Because he was an exceptional, distinguished student, he may have been an instructor after graduation and did not go overseas.

Wharf

I WILL AHVE TO SEE IF HE IS IN ANY OTHER UNIT BOOKS FROM VAAF. IF HE WAS AN INSTUCTOR THERE WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE IN THE FOLLOWING CLASS. HAVE NOT FOUND MUCH ON MY PAY SITES OTHER THAN HE WAS A DOCTOR AFTER THE WAR WHEN HE WAS BORN AND WHEN HE PASSED. JUST SEEMS LIKE THERE SHOULD BE MORE INFO. THANKS ED