WW1 and WW2 US Saddles Book Help

derrbrad

Trying to get opinions from the forum if there is a definitive book on saddles from this era. If it covers other areas that is fine, but my main focus is early 20th century. Any thoughts?

American Military Saddle 1776-1945 by Dorsey and McPherson. A book I own and highly recommend, but just saw one on ebay for $350 so might be hard and expensive to find nowadays. A second paperback book US Military Saddles 1812-1943 by Randy Steffen is pretty available through Amazon and elsewhere for a much more modest price. Good luck. Kevin

hbtcoveralls

I agree, the definitive study is the McPheeters and Dorsey book

Whatever you want it's in there

It was never cheap but its great and well worth it if you're going to be seriously into saddles and horse equipment.

Randy Steffan's series called "the horse soldier" volumes 3 and 4 cover much of the same information but aren't made for the collector's eye

Tom Bowers

Started looking for the suggested book by McPherson. Ranging from $350 thru $1450. Probably will hold off on that one for now as the one by Randy Steffen I can find for under 50. Ill use that one to get me started. I appreciate the advice.

I completely agree with the previous recommendations on reference books. I've been collecting cavalry saddles and related equipment for the past 50 years and have acquired a rather complete collection of U.S. cavalry saddles including examples of most all that were issued between 1900-1943. I would be happy to share with you any information I've gathered regarding saddles and equipment of this period. Please feel free to post any questions regarding information, photos etc. I'll do my best to answer any and all questions.

Best, George.

hbtcoveralls

Don't forget to look at the posts on the forum.

Through the years members have posted a large amount of cavalry gear and we've weighed in on what's been posted.

If you are looking for photos of a specific item, search and it's probably been shown and discussed on the USMF

Tom Bowers

I was in the cavalry my whole Army career until retirement. I've collected a lot of stuff over the years. But now I've transitioned to more of the twilight of the cavalry era. Just wanting to do the research before I start wading into it. Got burnt back in the beginning by not doing enough research before I started buying. Hurt, but definitely taught me a lesson.

Just a general thought about the value of reference books. A lot of beginning collectors, myself included tend to shy away from spending money on reference books thinking that the same money could be used to purchase that next piece for the collection. What most veteran collectors eventually realize is that spending money on reference books, be it 100 or 300 dollars is a good investment in your collection. If a piece of information from a book keeps you from buying a bogus high ticket item, the money saved could easily have paid for the book. Communication with other collectors is another great way to gain knowledge. Most advanced collectors are happy to share knowledge with those new to collecting. Don't be afraid to be embarrassed about asking questions. That's how we all learned. I've been collecting cavalry saddles and equipment for well over 50 years. Not a year goes by that I don't learn something new. Lastly beware of the "expert" that knows it all.

Best, George.

• 2 months later...

I can not emphasize enough what cavsaddle says. Investing in good solid reference material can save you hundreds, if not thousands in collecting whatever niche your collecting interest lies.

Thanks guys. I have $1,000's of dollars of reference material for items I actually collect. Was mainly looking for something just to beef up my knowledge base a little more. Don't really have any intention of buying anything. Mainly don't have the room, too much other stuff that I've been putting together over the years and don't yet want to part with. So I bought the Steffen book. If I ever decide to actually start collecting saddle tack, It will definitely not be the only book that I own prior to jumping in. Thanks again.