Need Help; WW2 Survival Kit?

Colby MaGill

Colby MaGill

Bought this rubberized survival kit for $30 at a show the other day. I was told it was a survival kit used in aircraft and rafts during World War Two. It has no external markings and is unopened. I can't find any information on it anywhere. Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

There are things I can and cannot tell you about your solar still. First it is a spherical vinylite apparatus for purifying sea water to potable using the sun for the processing source, one still is in the unit. This specific example of yours I do not think is military but of commercial origin for Merchant Marine and other sea going vessels for lifeboats. The still is based of the US Navy adopted type of the Mark 1 Mod 1, the model designed during WWII is the Mark 1 Mod 0 that enetered procurement too late to see any use before VJ-Day. Your example is of the revised type, circa 1947. It is for certain a post WWII item, it dates to the Korean war and into Vietnam. The US Government procured types will have all the proper nomenclature, stock number, procurement data etc. in a visible location. Bottom line is that you were deceived and way over paid, sorry. Neat item as a novelty.

Colby MaGill

Out of my own curiosity, I decided to go ahead and open it up. It is military- dated April 1951 procured by the United States Air Force. Not totally a bust, but still a disappointment.

Thats what I wasn't clear about, I haven't really studied these post WWII models too much. The Navy model is clearly marked seen on the exterior. Does it have a nomenclature such as LL-2 ? or specification 40957? perhaps.