Civil War Canteen

My first ever American Civil War item.

I'm not sure which side would have used this canteen, as I'm told that both sides used similar, and were likely often captured and used from one side to the other.

post-152877-0-40895900-1498459863_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-56044900-1498459875_thumb.jpg

Steve Rogers

Congratulations. That's a good start! A very basic and essential piece of CW soldier's gear. It's the 1858 pattern "smooth-sided" (as collector's call them) canteen, used throughout the war. They started issuing the corrugated or "bullseye" style because it was sturdier, but there were many makers and contractors and a lot of variation, so they can be a collecting field in themselves. Here's quick question-- is there a small hole drilled or punched in the neck of the spout just below the lip? It looks like it from one of your photos. If there is, it's a nice sign of field use and soldier's modification for it made it easier to drink from by breaking the vacuum seal when placed to the lips. It also looks like there are some nicks or notches under the lip-- a sign of a bored soldier at work.

Congratulations. That's a good start! A very basic and essential piece of CW soldier's gear. It's the 1858 pattern "smooth-sided" (as collector's call them) canteen, used throughout the war. They started issuing the corrugated or "bullseye" style because it was sturdier, but there were many makers and contractors and a lot of variation, so they can be a collecting field in themselves. Here's quick question-- is there a small hole drilled or punched in the neck of the spout just below the lip? It looks like it from one of your photos. If there is, it's a nice sign of field use and soldier's modification for it made it easier to drink from by breaking the vacuum seal when placed to the lips. It also looks like there are some nicks or notches under the lip-- a sign of a bored soldier at work.

Good call on the small hole on the neck.

I hadn't noticed, or given it thought. Here is a close up of it.

Also, there is a small hole on one of the outer loops. Part of the canteen's design, or also done by the Soldier? If so, any idea what it would have been for?

My thanks to everyone here who has enlightened me!

Bryan

post-152877-0-53419200-1498621425_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-41465600-1498621434_thumb.jpg

Looking this canteen over again this afternoon I believe there may be something etched/scratched onto the surface of it. I think I might make out a letter "C" or "E" and perhaps "M" ... can't tell beyond that and I don't want to do any cleaning which might alter ready on this item.

I've tried to eyeball it from different angles am having difficulty with it.

Bryan

post-152877-0-43739400-1498705259_thumb.jpg

Steve Rogers

As Steve B. mentioned, the hole in the bracket is for one end of the chain retaining the cork. Use of a chain rather than a string is an indication the canteen was made for the NY Depot. I would just try a raking light for the initials. They are interesting, but unlikely to yield a positive identification unless there is something else scratched in the canteen.