Altered Harian Extra Ammo Bag

GOAmules

It always pays to ask. I was at a small home where the 60 something children were doing an estate sale. Not much in the house. I asked if they had any military gear. She told me to follow her outside, opened up the trash can, and said, "I just threw that away...you can have it...it was my dads, he probably got it in WWII...." I didn't know what this thing was. Now it's looking like a modification made by putting two extra ammo bags together. It's not some uncommon issue item is it?

35346764942_337b5cc5be_z.jpg

35383055321_856e214756_z.jpg

It is two ammo bags sewn together. After the war surplus stores did a lot of this kind of stuff, cutting up and sewing together pieces of gear to make back packs and school bags.

hbtcoveralls

It is two ammo bags sewn together. After the war surplus stores did a lot of this kind of stuff, cutting up and sewing together pieces of gear to make back packs and school bags.

That's right on, a GP bag was hard to sell, but sew two together with a couple of straps added (probably cut up suspenders) and you have a swell backpack that surplus stores could sell

Tom Bowers

AGREE w/ Dennis and TOM

you will see many altered things after The war.Mussette bags sewn together with a canvas section to create saddle bags for bicycle or motorcycle.Same with the M2 ammo vests.they were often made into saddle bags or parted out and also made into back packs by adding straps and canvas flap for a cover

milsurp_scout_14

Here's an example I had (and sold), made from a pair of Morrow Douglas 1945 dated bags, and two GP straps. Made for an excellent 'swapmeet/militaria show' backpack while I had it.

post-153911-0-67695900-1498361312_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-28927200-1498361318_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-34675600-1498361323_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-52640400-1498361329_thumb.jpg