TREASURES IN SAN FRANCISCO

ram957

Just toured these great ships at Pier 45 at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. USS Pampanito SS-383 in front and Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brien in rear

post-13070-0-59965900-1498342174_thumb.jpg

P-40Warhawk

Thanks for the pics, always wanted to see these historic vessels for myself. I think the Jeremiah O'Brien takes cruises around the bay too? Nice to see a WWII sub still on the water where is belongs! Only sub I've seen is the Drum, and it is ashore!

there is 4 other WWII vessels you can tour near by. Hornet, Red Oak Victory, a destroyer in Vallejo at Mare Island and FDRs yacht in Jack London square.

P-40Warhawk

Oh and I just remembered, you can see part of the old heavy cruiser USS San Francisco's flying bridge at Land's end! It was removed after being damaged in the 11-13-42 naval battle of Guadalcanal.

I went on that Liberty ship on while I was staying in SF for my Honeymoon, They actual had pallets they were loading for a charity trip or something. Kinda cool that she actually has a functional crew that runs her still. Below deck is a peace of a landing craft that hit Omaha beach I believe. Cool museum for sure. That coin arcade museum next door is pretty sweet to.

I got to see these 2 ships a couple of years ago. Really a neat thing to see. Amazing to think how fast a liberty ship could be built. Wasn't the record something under a week from laying the keel to completion. It was part of a competition though.

Ditto on including these ships in your tour plans if you are in the Bay area. They are well worth your time to visit. If you go to Alameda to see the Hornet, take a drive through the adjacent decommissioned Naval Air Station Alameda. This was a location from which the Trans-Pacific clipper flying boats departed as well as being a a PBY capable base with still visible seaplane ramps. It's also where the Mythbusters people use the runways to do some of their skits.

• 1 month later...

I worked in the City for 30 years, and we would go up on the roof every year to watch the Blue Angels practice. They fly out of Oakland. Check it out if you can.

Here's a couple of shots I took.

The Bay Area setting if fantastic for them.

post-1414-0-29780400-1502054467.jpg

post-1414-0-09191800-1502054477.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When I use to live in the bay area I did the US Navy reserve.My unit Special Boat Unit XI our CO had us take over a LCM-8 boat a landing craft for a D-Day anniversary. They had some WW2 reenactors over at Crissy Field we were to pick up a WW2 jeep and land it on the beach for the Jeremiah O'Brien. The port engine that did the all the hydraulics steering and dropping landing ramp it died when trying to pick up that jeep we broached and got stuck on the beach due to with only the starboard engine being the only working engine and no steering. A WW2 duck pulled us off the beach. Behind the coxswain flat you remove a deck plate put in a metal pole for steering so it took two men instead of the normal one. One on the throttle and one steering all the way back to Mare Island on one engine a slow ride to replace the starter some fool had alligator clips on the port starter so it burned up why we lost the port engine. We fix it and went back to the Jeremiah O'Brien got back late at night they let us sleep in one of there cargo holds next day every thing went off with out a hitch did the beach landing with the jeep. Also my boss from a city I worked for at the time use to volunteer on the Jeremiah O'Brien he got me to do it did a little painting on the week ends. I also did some volunteer work on the USS Iowa when they had it over at Richmond when it was there for a short yard period before it went to the LA area as a museum. I help paint the flight deck and the coolest thing was putting the bloomers on the 16 inch guns these metal hoops you had to put on you had to sit right on the barrel to bolt it on. And got to put the emergency tow cable on in case the tow cable towing it to LA broke. Never thought I would see a deck crawler or needle gun again chipping paint one job I hated in the Navy. There is also the USS Hornet Museum at Alameda point.