"Shortened" Airborne M1910 E-Tool w/ tan paint under OD

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Just obtained this "shortened" Entrenching Tool. Its interesteing in that under the re-paint of OD, presumably after the modification to the length, is a tan "camo" paint. Perhaps MTO then ETO history.

Comments welcomed!

1 of 7

post-17994-0-66607500-1498324555_thumb.jpg

Looks like Army OD under USMC Forest Green paint. And I think that's the first maker marked shortened shovel that I have seen.

Persian Gulf Command

robinb,

I have to say that the paint underneath is a true tan color. In fact where that paint is seen on the wood of the handle it has a slightly yellowish hue. I would speculate this is a function of the surface this paint has reacted with over seven decades affecting its patina. The over coat has a true darker OD color that the Forest Green of the Marine modified E-Tool.

I have another "Shorty" that does have that Forest Green Paint as seen in the comparison shots below:

post-17994-0-30675500-1498403605_thumb.jpg

Looks like Army OD under USMC Forest Green paint. And I think that's the first maker marked shortened shovel that I have seen.

I agree that this looks like a USMC paint job.

I have an AMES marked example much like the one posted here, I had not seen another until this post.

Persian Gulf Command

Ron,

I understand your opinion based on the photos. However, if you had both in hand you could see a distinct difference in the hue of the paints. In the last photo I posted, the shovel on the right is the Airborne OD green and on the left is an overcoat of Forest Green over a OD Green.