special forces M-65 comments?

korea drab

Laury Allison

A couple of things make me curious about this field jacket. First of all, there are no epaulets on it??? Were there versions of the M-65 without them? If so, I don't ever remember seeing them. Especially since this is an officer's coat you would think they would want the epaulets for thier rank insignia.

The other thing is the combat shoulder insignia. The 89th ID patch would have been from WWII....would this guy be a Captain in 1967 or 1968 when the subdued nametapes, US Army and CIB and Airborne badges became available and still be wearomg a color SF SSI? Of course he could have been an Army Reserve guy which would make this jacket make more sense. There were/are some Special Forces Groups assigned to the Army Reserves and National Guard. I was in the Alabama Army National Guard and knew several guys who were SF qualified and in other units.

Still, the lack of epaulets make me more curious than the patch configuration on this one. Otherwise, I say go for it!

Laury

First type M-65 where whithout them.All manufactured 1966 are like this.I will try my luck on this one.

That does not worry me ,just asking if this is legit.

Karl

Ahhhhhh forgot to enter yesterday!!!!Sold for 35 dollars.I can´t believe the winners luck!!!!!

NOOOOOOO damn fool i am. thumbdown.gif

Laury Allison
First type M-65 where whithout them.All manufactured 1966 are like this.I will try my luck on this one.

That does not worry me ,just asking if this is legit.

Karl

I didn't realize that the early ones didn't have epaulets. I just sold an M-1951 Field Jacket that I believe was made in 1961 that was near mint. If somebody won this one for $35, they got a great deal. The one I sold went for $46.00.

I've always liked field jackets...they are warm, comfortable and durable. Great piece of gear.

Laury

• 3 years later...
http://www.manions.com/bid/bid.aspx~itemid...81~pic~20081023

Is there any Mosher listed as SF member? The patches and added insignia look good to me.

And the jacket looks great so far :think:

post-1820-1224720325.jpg

post-1820-1224720343.jpg

I love to look at these old topics . On this one with the 89th Infantry Division worn as a combat patch with name MORSHER, I found this guy in the 1947 89th Infantry Division unit history book, in the ranks of Company H, 355th Infantry was this fellow, P. Mosher; Pfc; CIB; PH; SS; a Silver Star winner, in the front of the portion that lists all valour decorations of the Rolling W during the period of the Second World War, is where we first see him, here he is listed by his full name under Silver Star receipents of the 355th Infantry Regiment, this being, Mosher, Price, Pfc. Co. H.

The other thing is the combat shoulder insignia. The 89th ID patch would have been from WWII....would this guy be a Captain in 1967 or 1968 when the subdued nametapes, US Army and CIB and Airborne badges became available and still be wearomg a color SF SSI? Of course he could have been an Army Reserve guy which would make this jacket make more sense.

My grandfather was a PFC in the Army in WWII, got out and later joined the National Guard in 1952 where he got his commission. He was a captain from 1962 to 1970.

http://www.manions.com/bid/bid.aspx~itemid...81~pic~20081023

Is there any Mosher listed as SF member? The patches and added insignia look good to me.

And the jacket looks great so far :think:

post-1820-1224720325.jpg

post-1820-1224720343.jpg

Can anyone of the Special Forces experts on the forum check and see if this Captain was in fact a SF Reservist or National Guardsman in the 60s ?

This jacket is genuine. I had three OG-107 shirts that belonged to this captain Mosher. I sold them in the early 90s. All three of them were patched up the same way, with US made insignias but the name tape in-country made.

This jacket is genuine. I had three OG-107 shirts that belonged to this captain Mosher. I sold them in the early 90s. All three of them were patched up the same way, with US made insignias but the name tape in-country made.

I agree with the originality of this field jacket, though without seeing the close up of the name tape it will be hard for me to say that its "In Country Made" you must be aware of something, Not every subdued Name tape is a "In Country Made" tape, the variations made all over the world where the Army was stationed in the mid to late 60s early 70s, and this would include right here in the United states, are in way to many varieties to ID if on a fatique item thats a type or for a man in a unit that was worn outside of Vietnam. By saying this about the name tape, you are asserting he was in Vietnam, either wearing this very field jacket or was over there and brought this tape home to wear later on, does a Captain Price Mosher come up in the database ?, I would look myself but my time ran out, it would be nice to know in what group he was in, was he in the Regular Army ? is the idea that he may have been a Reserve or National Guard Green Beret on the mark ? I know that there are more members who know where to look for Special Forces types, they have an interest in these uniforms, and have more referrance mediums at their disposel, also I took the time to look for this guy to see if he showed up in the rosters of a period 89th Infantry Division book I have, a man named Mosher did, I find it interesting that no one seems to have notice that Mosher was a Sliver Star reciepent of the 89th Division, as I have no reason to really doubt that this Captain Mosher in the late 60s and Private First Class Mosher, are one and the same, I now would like info on him as to what group he was in, I tried to look but as I am limited in reseach materials for Special Forces, I was wondering if others would be so kind as to give a look see.

• 6 years later...
CarolynMosherReeder

Hello-

Captain Mosher was my father, if anyone is still interested in some of his military history. It does appear that jacket was his, although we do not know how someone got it with his name patch, as we thought they were removed prior to going to auction, after his death.

Here is a photograph of many of his service metals, but it is not all inclusive, as he framed them prior to the government playing catch-up on metals in the late 70's.

I'm not sure how many RC Special Forces groups there were in the 1960's. I know that by the 1970's there were 4: The 11th and 12th were USAR groups and the 19th and 20th were ARNG. I think 11th was headquartered in Illinois, 12th was in CA, 19th was in Utah and 20th was in Alabama. They had companies and battalions spread all over the US.

I got a PM from his daughter, I asked her to add more here in this topic, but so far she has not.

CarolynMosherReeder

Sent Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Hello-

I saw you had an interest in Captain Mosher, way back in 2012. He was my father, in case you are interested in still hearing about him.

He truly was a great solider, volunteering for WW II at age 17, Korea, Vietnam, and then going Airborne.

Thank you for taking notice in him.

• 1 month later...

What happened to the name tag.

Yeah, apparently the family removed them from the other items, but not the one in the OP, see post #13, bummer that member now has it with tape now removed .

They removed the Name tape after it sold? To me it looks like the same jacket. Check the AIRBORNE tab.

To bad on a solid SF jacket.

Best

M