web gear sets

steamer98

I'm just curious if most of you all assemble web gear sets one piece at a time like I do such as a WW1 infantry man or a vietnam marine. I rarely ever see whole sets all together and was wondering if anyone out there was run in to any. I do have to admit though that it's kinda fun assembling sets one piece at a time as it adds to the "hunt".

I'm just curious if most of you all assemble web gear sets one piece at a time like I do such as a WW1 infantry man or a vietnam marine. I rarely ever see whole sets all together and was wondering if anyone out there was run in to any. I do have to admit though that it's kinda fun assembling sets one piece at a time as it adds to the "hunt".

Well someone has bought them because a couple years ago I sold one. I still have a bunch of post WWII through 1960's web gear and canteens and have considered putting them together to sell as sets to help gain some space in my garage.

From a sellers standpoint you probably make much more money selling the pieces than a set, but I had all this stuff that worked so well together I had to give it a try. If someone was putting together an early-Vietnam era Marine, this was a good start, but there was still plenty of hunting to be done to put together all that they carried in the field. This is what I sold (including the late 50's, early 60's USMC "Gomer Pyle" utility shirt, M61 belt and associated M14 ammo pouches and a 1952 USMC canteen cover with canteen:

gomerbeltcu.jpg

I've put together all my field gear sets except one. I did purchase a complete set of British web gear for a Commonwealth field uniform.

I think I actually paid more for the set than I would have as individual pieces had I been able to find them at shows or at dealers' stores. However, since I was proabably going to have to buy each peice mail order or over the internet, once I factored in the postage and shipping for a dozen or so items, I probably came out about even or slightly ahead.

In the end, though, I do enjoy the hunt and research, so that's the only time I've ever resorted to such a collecting tactic. (It was also a target of opportunity, since I rarely ever see "sets" of field gear for sale.) I think the dealers prefer to break up sets and sell by component, too. As Forum Support says, they probably do realize more profit that way.

Mike

I never heard of a WW2 vet bringing home and keeping more than a few field gear items. But I have seen basements full of old camping gear, most of which is old army & navy surplus. Campers seem to be more interested in hanging onto web gear than vets.

Also, any field gear brought home by vets was almost always adopted by the sons for camping and hiking. I remember seeing all kinds of ww2 stuff from kids hiking around.

I had a harringbone twill duffle bag my dad brought home from ww2. It has the names of two summer camps written in marker on it, used by us kids over the years.

I've seen lots of gear brought home by vietnam vets. Maybe not enough time had passed for the closets to be cleaned out.

John

Of the sets I have put together only one came as a group. I bought a set of WWI field gear that I think the dealer put together but it was well done and all 1917 dated. Other then that as I said before I love the hunt. As I focus on field gear if something out of the ordinary comes along that I don't have it's kinda fun to try and find a mate for it. I will admit though it can be difficult at times to locate items but usualy if you wait something will come along.

I guess while we're on the subject how about favorite web gear sets? Mine is a set of M1945 field gear that I managed to put together for under $40! I would post pictures but I haven't figured out how, it always says the image is too large. But does anyone have photos of their favorite sets?

it always says the image is too large. But does anyone have photos of their favorite sets?

When the pic is on the desktop, Right Click, Edit, Image, Stretch/skew - set those both to 25% each. and you can post pics.

I buy random pouches, canteen covers, suspenders, etc and TRY to put together my own. So far, i just did WWII a pistol belt with .45 mag pouch, first aid pouch, and a vietnam era .45 holster (ONLY because it is the only one i have for now until i can find one in good shape and in my price range). I am also trying to put together a Korean War era web belt. My only issue is when i put the suspenders one, the belt is always lopsided. It looks like the clips on the suspenders are hooked to the right hole, but when i pick it up by the shoulders it always looks weird. Anyone else have that problem and/or suggest the right way of doing this?

I used the original conrete form tabs as the point to attach the studs. It has worked nicely for the old guns, but once I got down to the carbines, I found the fly in the soup. If you notice, there is no M-16A1, but that gets remedied this weekend. I am buying the guts to a retro M-16A1 lower, that will finish the rifles. As for putting it together, that was the fun of it. what you don't see in this picture is the Bosnia/Kosovo through OIF1 and OIF2 displays. I will see about getting a picure of that up as well. I am putting it all together for my hobby, but also as my daughter's inheritance. She is three years old and already knows the room as her museum. I would like to stay and chat more, but just picked up a Desert Storm GPS that I have to get integrated into the display.

Salvage Sailor

I posted some pics of my helmet, first aid kit etc., & I've been saying I'd post some pics of my bring home web gear for some time now. Sooner or later I will, and no.....it's not for sale ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i purchased a complete ww2 set brought home by the vet. he was a pilot of a B-17 Flying Fortress. the set contains a Belt, dated 1942 Marked RM CO, First aid pouch dated 1941 Marked Lub Prod Co, and a 45 Pouch dated 1918 Marked RH LONG complete with blood stains. also there is a canteen pouch Marked BRADDS, INC dated 194? looks like 1941 but i cannot tell, it is the same color as everything else so??! the canteen is a 1944 VOLLRATH and the cup is also 1944 VOLLRATH. the only thing missing was the M1916 45 holster. i paid $40 bucks for it.

i have since added onto it just because it seamed right. i now have a 1942 Boyt M1916 45 holster in awesome used condition, a set of suspenders dated 1941 Marked ??? US YARLE or YANKE??? and then I 8185.... idk about manufacturers but thats what it says, and the d rings were upturned and there were impressions of a missing musette bag so of course i had to get one, and in the mail is a 1940 ??? ATLANTIC PRODUCTIONS??? idk i havent received it yet. it comes complete with proper shoulder strap. also newly added is an unused green carlise bandage tin made by the handy pad supply co. worcester mass (my home town!) found in Israel haha, and lastly a folding entrenching tool and case with hangers both dated 1944, has yet to come in so idk anything else about it. i didnt want a t handle shovel, i figured that the pretend soldier im creating could have picked up a new shovel later in the war... also i just added a very salty RH PAL 36 with correct leather sheath with original leg tie. :D

here is a post i did early with pictures of the original minus the canteen... forgot that :blink: ill post new photos if your interested when its not so late and when the last two items come in.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=rh+long

Some very nice setups posted here guys! I have a few sets put together and use them to complete my mannequins.

I probably could and should put a few more sets together to see what pieces I need to complete the sets.

I never found a complete set outside the collectors circle or internet (ebay)

craig_pickrall

When I was a kid in the late 1940's and early 50's I knew plenty of WW2 vets. The only ones that I ever saw that had a complete set of web gear were the ones that had joined the National Guard or Reserves upon their return home. Most GI's still had their coming home uniform then but not much combat gear. You would see a few that managed to bring their helmet home and still fewer that had a cartridge belt or pistol belt with the gear hung on it. I do nor remember ever seeing anyone with a pack.

One exception to this that I know of was a 2nd cousin of mine. He graduated from Parris Island just as the war ended. After he had been home a while I asked him if he had any "stuff" I could have. He told me a real heartbreaker. Two weeks before I asked he had thrown away everything he had. For some reason when they discharged him he was given all of his uniforms and 782 gear from boot camp. He had pitched two sea bags full that had everything except his rifle and bayonet.