Guidon Protective Sleeves.

cavsaddle

Re discovered these in a storage box in the garage a few days ago and thought some of you might be interested in seeing them. The larger of the two was used with the larger M1885 pattern guidon. made of a light weight khaki canvas cloth. The lower end has a draw string and the upper end that encloses the spear point was reinforced with a second layer of material. It is not marked The second sleeve was made to fit the smaller guidon which replaced the '85 pattern guidon in 1931. It is also made of a light weight canvas cloth. It is dark green in color. It also has the double thick upper end that encloses the spear point but does away with the draw string at the base. This one is stamped inside the sleeve, in 2 lines US QUARTERMASTER PHIL. DEPOT, and is dated 1944. I'm not 100% sure of exactly what applications they served. They could have been used for protection in bad weather, but neither of them seem to have any kind of waterproofing on them. Perhaps they were used for general storage. Hope they are of interest.

George

post-2782-0-80947900-1497803448_thumb.jpg

post-2782-0-22810100-1497803491_thumb.jpg

Interesting find, I've not seen those before. Great guidons by the way, I've yet to come across a legit GI cavalry one.

Interesting indeed, another good guess would be that these are condoms ( I like to use the old 18th Century term for these flag cases :lol:) that were used to cover the guidons while in transit, you know, long, or even short journeys, ocean ship, truck in example, where the guidon would be stowed away.

Thanks for the input. Protection while being transported makes a lot of sense. As far as the quartermaster info, just Google "history of US cavalry guidons" and click on cavhooah. Good information on guidons there.

George.